Websites Good for a Laugh!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jack E, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I don't normally associate Wikipedia with riotous comedy, but this page on the fictional composer P.D.Q. Beethoven had me cracking up - and the little audioclip at the bottom, featuring the sound of the tromboon had me crying with laughter!

P. D. Q. Bach - Wikipedia

I shan't spoil your fun by trying to describe the sound of the tromboon; I'll just say it was invented (butchered?) by Professor Peter Schickele, in order to perform some works of PDQ's he had 'discovered' - and, according to Schickele, the tromboon consists of a conglomeration of a bassoon and a trombone, "with the disadvantages of both."

The titles of some of PDQ's works will give you an idea of what to expect; for example, his 'Erotica Variations', a 'Concerto for Bassoon vs. Orchestra', and 'Fanfare for the Common Cold' . . . 'nuff said, eh? :cool:

And your challenge for the weekend is to paint a word portrait of the timbre and musicality of the tromboon - go to it, TMPers!! Failing that, if you come across a website which matches the heading of this thread, please feel free to post it, and share the fun. :)

Jack 'Subversive Element' E.

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not mentioned in the Wiki entry, my all-time favourite PDQ Bach extract is the recording of the first movement of Beethoven 5, with an American Football style radio commentary voice-over ...

Worth a listen if you've never heard it.

Jack E likes this.
  3. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I did come across that one, Gareth - but I had to switch off when it reached the 'action replay'; it was about 3am, and I was damn near choking in my attempts to stop my laughter waking up the neighbours!

With best regards,

Jack E.

4. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Re. your quotation, Gareth:
    Does it still count as insanity if the conductor actually expects the result to be that the band gets relentlessly worse?
    :mad:

Or is that just masochism?
    ;)