Websites Good for a Laugh!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jack E, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I don't normally associate Wikipedia with riotous comedy, but this page on the fictional composer P.D.Q. Beethoven had me cracking up - and the little audioclip at the bottom, featuring the sound of the tromboon had me crying with laughter!

P. D. Q. Bach - Wikipedia

I shan't spoil your fun by trying to describe the sound of the tromboon; I'll just say it was invented (butchered?) by Professor Peter Schickele, in order to perform some works of PDQ's he had 'discovered' - and, according to Schickele, the tromboon consists of a conglomeration of a bassoon and a trombone, "with the disadvantages of both."

The titles of some of PDQ's works will give you an idea of what to expect; for example, his 'Erotica Variations', a 'Concerto for Bassoon vs. Orchestra', and 'Fanfare for the Common Cold' . . . 'nuff said, eh? :cool:

And your challenge for the weekend is to paint a word portrait of the timbre and musicality of the tromboon - go to it, TMPers!! Failing that, if you come across a website which matches the heading of this thread, please feel free to post it, and share the fun. :)

Jack 'Subversive Element' E.

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not mentioned in the Wiki entry, my all-time favourite PDQ Bach extract is the recording of the first movement of Beethoven 5, with an American Football style radio commentary voice-over ...

Worth a listen if you've never heard it.

Jack E likes this.
  3. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I did come across that one, Gareth - but I had to switch off when it reached the 'action replay'; it was about 3am, and I was damn near choking in my attempts to stop my laughter waking up the neighbours!

With best regards,

Jack E.

4. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Re. your quotation, Gareth:
    Does it still count as insanity if the conductor actually expects the result to be that the band gets relentlessly worse?
    :mad:

Or is that just masochism?
    ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice