Websites and multiple languages

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bob Thompson, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Hello Tmp'ers
    I wonder if anyone knows of a programme whereby one can offer the option to view the website in multiple languages.
    There must be someone hear that does?
    Cheers
    Bob
    ps sorry f this is posted in the wrong place, no doubt it will be placed in the correct one if it is.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hello Tmp'ers
    multiple languages Hello Tmp'ers
    wrong place
    Websites
    option
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

4. bennem

bennem Member

machine translations are at best hopeless and at worst unintelligible. Get a friendly language speaker to do the translation.

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I thought Google offered to translate when foreign language sites were found using it's search engine?

7. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to be the bearer of bad news and recommend that you a) get someone to translate the text and interface, and b) think carefully about your layout when you attempt to localise it.

I remember we were doing some work for the Dubai government, and were caught out at first when we localised a stock version of some software, because all images with words in them were running left to right instead of right to left, messing up the design of the application.

8. bennem

bennem Member

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I am aware that when running software such as we run here on tMP, there are language packs available that allow users to choose which language the core application runs in. This won't of course translate any content submitted by users, but the remainder will be in the language chosen.

10. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Our band's site has a link which 'translates' the site via Google into German with the intention of it attracting hits from our twin band in Germany.
    It does it's job of providing a rough translation but they've said it isn't brilliant and I freely admit it! If they don't understand written English, they can get a rough idea of what's going on with the translation and in their heads, translate it into something that makes sense.
    The good thing with Google is that all the links continue to be translated into the language of your choice. With some other packages, you click a link and the page pops back up into English.
    But as said above, if you want it done properly, get someone in to translate everything for you and create a brand new sub-site.

11. NeilW

NeilW Member

www.sophos.com is manually translated into the (6?) languages its available in by the folk who work downstairs from me.

Neil.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hello Tmp'ers
    multiple languages Hello Tmp'ers
    wrong place
    Websites
    option