Website Help Please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SuperMosh, Aug 10, 2006.

1. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Hi all

Mods if this in wrong place then feel free to cyber slap me and move it to wherever it should be, I am at work so don't have much time to waste and a quick search didn't help much on threads.

Right, the website I maintain is and for the short time I get to maintain it, I feel happy with how it is looking.

However, I want to add a guestbook that works in the site using CGI. And that is as much as I know! Someone please give me a simple way to design my own guestbook using the CGI stuff I have installed courtesy of John@tmp who incidentally offers a spiffing deal that is affordable, reliable and beneficial to all parties.

Also, how do I create a form to use off the website and why do so many bands use php on their sites. It looks cool and I would love to use the features. Problem is I do not know what thgese features are and how I could implement them.

I use Dreamweaver 8 and have the full fireworks package. Yes I know it sounds like 'all the gear and no idea' but I am willing to learn and would gladly offer a link to a helper's own band site or a pint at Butlins!!!!

Pete :)
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

There are many guestbook scripts 'out there' on the net as it were, perhaps dop a google search for them or look on one of the many script sites such as

You might also wish to have a look at an alternative content platform such as Mambo, Joomla or Wordpress etc. All of these applications are available on tMP hosting and I can install them for you for you to take away and test out. They all come with some form of guestbook add-in too.

Have a look at the respective www sites for how these applications can be made to present and manage superb looking www sites.
  3. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Is it easier to use Mambo as opposed to building a guestbook, form script in Dreaweaver then?

Or can I add a guestbook to sit within one of my pages but use Mambo to host it. I know I sound thick on this but I am clueless.
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Ohhhh yes.... ooohhhhh yes..... most certainly.

Tell you what - call me at some point tonight and I can give you some additional info that might help. Call it part of the service... ;)
  5. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

John. Mate. Dude.

I will ring you later!

Still waiting on the after school thing though :( - I defy them to get cheaper hosting based on my free site building :)
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I used to use a pretty simple and customizable free script, i think it was from Matt's script archive ( ). The m ain problem with these free scripts, is that they are VERY susceptible to spam bots!!!

I'm now using "Gboox MX" (see ). it uses security codes to protect from spam bots. Unfortunately, it's much ahrder to make it blend in with the rest of the site, and also the developper of the script has recently decided to stop new developments :(
  7. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Cheers, I am feeling the Mod Love and you know what? I like it.