Website contact page help needed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DaveR, Oct 22, 2006.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I need to create a contact page for a website I'm building. There are about 6 people who potentially need to be contacted from the page. I don't want to embed their email addresses because they will get spammed to within an inch of their lives as soon as the page is crawled.

So I wondered what the best way to do this is? I know I can create a form, but I think I can only do that so that it sends to one person at a time - therefore I would need to create 6 forms. This isn't a problem, but there must be a better way! Ideally, I would like to create the one form, and somehow let the user decide who to send it to.....

Has anybody else done this? What did you decide to do?

Thanks for your help
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I had the same problem on a client site once Dave and if I rememebr correctly, it can be done - but with code rather than html. I eventually had the requirement coded in PHP.

The other way to accomplish this by the way is to get the form to send to one e-mail address and use a rule client side to then forward that to the 5 other people.
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Thanks John - interesting to hear that this can be done after all. I will investigate! :tup
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I used to use images to do this but some of the more sophisticated crawlers are wise to this technique now. Most of them look for the mailto links in the page source.

John, interested to hear about using php. I considered this but rejected it as the php is interpreted server side when a page is requested. Surely this would mean that when the crawler requested a page the PHP would render it, complete with email addresses, before serving it up.
  5. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Hi Dave,

Have a look over at the PHP section on - they are bound to have something which you can use, which will protect the e-mail addresses. :cool:

Good luck with the page. :tup
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi John

I shall try to find out how the coder actually did it for you - it was a client of mine that had the requirement on a system I was implementing and the only way we could accomplish it was server side with either PHP or ASP. Not sure if I will get any detailed information, but I will certainly send an email to the coder who was a fab chap and ask if he can remind me how it was done.

7. on_castors

on_castors Member

8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Fantastic! The first one looks particularly good! Thanks for posting them!