Website construction

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Elwood, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Elwood

Elwood New Member

The band that I play with is wanting to set up a website along the lines that many other bands already have.
    As we do not have anyone with the necessary IT knowledge to do this, we have decided to find a professional to set one up for us and then administer it ourselves. Trouble is, we've no idea where to look and find the said professional. The band is in South Yorkshire. Any help in pointing us in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
  2. alks

alks Member

Ive done several band websites over the years (as well as many others). They are not too hard to set up and for example a wordpress based site can be set up uising a template design fairly quickly. If you go for a bespoke design then then a little longer. Best option is to get your own hosting account and domain name then set up a cms based site and once its done you can edit it yourself.
    Slider1 likes this.
  3. GordonH

GordonH Member

By the way, you can now get domain names ending in .band. Might open up some nice possibilities for bands looking for an easy to remember address.
  4. Charles Parnell

Charles Parnell New Member

Totally agree with alks that Worpdress is a great way to create a website that you can administer yourself. Also ensure to install a plugin like Platinum SEO. This allows you to easily SEO the website to ensure anyone looking for a band, whether its to join or to find out when you're playing locally will be able to find you
  5. mr_nismo

mr_nismo Member

They do ours, Fodens, and more... they will construct it based on your requirements and then give you access to edit, update, print shipping documents for an online shop, etc.
    Accidental likes this.
  6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Please keep in mind that setting up a website is one thing. Keeping it fresh, current and up to date is something else altogether. Have a look around and you won't go too far before seeing that a large number haven't succeeded in that respect. No doubt there are many reasons, the biggest likely being time. So I suggest you pay equal attention to this aspect as well.
  7. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Bryony Snell at Dynamek is an excellent web designer/developer. and an experienced Brass Bander. She's a member on here (or used to be).
  8. himan

himan New Member

9. Or, just take a look at a few band websites and find some which you like. Usually there will be a link (often in the page footer) to whoever did the design and/or manages it on the band's behalf.
  10. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I have a university computer degree. I have built my own websites. You can look at mine at

The suggestion about keeping it fresh is an important one! I spend at least 10 hours a month on my website. I have a Mac, and a program called RapidWeaver makes making websites a snap. It costs about $75 (about 50 pounds?). Just a suggestion if your webmaster is a Mac person. I would also be willing for free to build your initial website, but you would have to keep it up and fresh.
  11. Elwood

Elwood New Member

Thanks DocFox, but the website was setup some time ago.
  12. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

No worries. I am disabled by a car accident and have plenty of time and love to share.