WEBF (Bugle) 2005 Testpieces announced

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bassinthebathroom, Dec 10, 2004.

1. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Sorry Rob mate, beat you to it...

Contest Music (Wilfred Heaton) & Roll Away Bet (J. Ord Hume)

Sword Jewel and Mirror (Philip Harper) & Repton (arr. David Loukes)

Land of the Mountain and the Flood (Hamish McCunn arr. Glynn Bragg) & Montreal Citadel (Norman Audoir)

Haselmere Suite (Peter Graham) & Plentious Grace (Kenneth Pelmear)

Stantonbury Festival (Ray Steadman-Allen)

St. Austell Suite (Kenneth Downie)

Further details will, I'm sure, follow...
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Niceone Iain :)

I'll defo be there again watching bands playing these pieces 8)

3. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

good to see a nice piece again to work on for the first section. Haslemere is also a good piece, was our area piece a while ago in the forth section.
  4. Naomi McFadyen

yes, some ace choices....

St Austell Suite is a great one for Youth Section.... hope there's more Youth bands entering this time round!
  5. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

yea hopefully. my last year in the youth this year. nice to see a good piece
  6. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

:eek: I'm a bit suprised at the choice for the First Section. Sword, Jewel and Mirror was actually the area test piece in the Second Section in 2000 I believe. A decent piece to play but is it really a stepping stone to playing Contest Music or the like in Championship Section...I think not!! Get practising your 'ha's' people!!
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Probably to try and encourage more bands to take part ;-)
  8. impycornet

impycornet Member

That's OK

Didn't know them anyway !
  9. Owen S

Owen S Member

The same goes for the Haslemere Suite (note spelling please, I originally come from just down the road). It was the 4th section areas piece only a couple of years ago.

I wish Montreal Citadel had been set for the first section. I wouldn't be surprised if the organisers got the idea from the couple of times we tanked it out on the way back up the High Street at the end of the day. It's a glorious march.

Is excess difficulty of the pieces really the reason for the low attendances in some sections that Bugle sometimes sees? When we were the only band playing Hinemoa in the 2nd section a few years ago, I don't remember it being particularly difficult, though I do remember a few of our players loathed the piece.
  10. bassinthebathroom

Hehe - alas there is clearly more than one named Rob...
  11. bassinthebathroom

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  12. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

i agree, the choice is a bit strange, contest music is a cracking test but the others seem to be a section up if that makes sense! (sword jewl and mirror should be second section etc..)
    surely they could have ressurected some pieces that anit been played for a while, contest music was the open piece, sword jewel and haselmere were areas a few years ago, land of mountain and flood wa spontins a few years back??
    come on!!!
  13. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I'm not sure the quiet second movement of Contest Music lends itself to being played in field, where the audience whitters away during performances and with the occassional intrusion of an Intercity 125 passing by and sounding its horn.

14. bassinthebathroom

Well at least the adjudicator won't actually hear the high cornet C# being split miss or maybe-ied then!!! :p