we will remember them

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by super_sop, Nov 11, 2004.

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

spare a thought for those that have died fighting for and defending our country, and those in harms way at this present time

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Arial Rounded MT Bold
    font
    harms way
    sun
    country
  3. six pints

six pints Active Member

nice to see a thread like this. my thoughts are with those who gave their lives for our country, and for those fighting now, and their family and friends xx

4. louise0502

louise0502 Member

yep, I went to Belgium and saw lots of first world war graves, so i'd just like to echo the thoughts that we will remember them.

5. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

i played the last post and reville at school today (don't forget the 1 min silence< silence is golden) it was amazing......WE WILL REMEMBER THEM!!!!!!!

6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

God protect the ones that fight for us now, rest in peace all those who sacrificed themselves for our freedom.

Never forgotten.

7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

It made me sad today when I heard people talking on the phone and also telephones ringing in the office today during the silence. It seems that every year there are less and less people who take as little tiny piece of time out of their lives to remember people who's bloodlines have ended so that we can be free.

I feel sorry for those who do not care or understand.

8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

They'll be in my thoughts, those who have lost their lives and those still fighting.

9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Wow.

Amazing how one post can send a shiver down your spine.

Well quoted, Sir.

10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

We owe our freedoms to those that fought and died in 1939-1945. It's a tragedy that we currently have troops over in Iraq fighting an agressive action that needn't have happened in the first place. God Bless America - yeah right.

11. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

I feel the same way! thankfully my company took us all of the phones and we all stood together. When we went back on the phones we had about 7 people waiting on the lines!!! it's not nice that people don't care or choose not to remember.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Arial Rounded MT Bold
    font
    harms way
    sun
    country
  13. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

We had a 2 minutes silence at college today. I was in the canteen at the time, which is usually filled with loud music and people generally messing around, having a good time. But when the laides in the kitchen rang a bell at 11, i was touched by the sincerity of everyone in there. In a room full of 300+ 16,17&18 year olds, no one even murmered. It was very poingant.

14. brass journo

brass journo Member

I was at home at 11am with my 8 1/2 month old son and I found myself explaining to him why we had to be quiet for a couple of mins and think of everyone we have loved and lost and those that gave everything for us to live our lives. I know he's only 8 months old but it was an eerie silence as I was giving him a cuddle watching the news. I know he will always be brought up to acknowledge these important things and I hope more people do the same so the future generations always know the meaning behind such important dates.
    As an anniversary of D-Day this year I also put the same kind of inscription in our new CD programme notes. We hoped that when people read it they would remember those who have fought, are fighting and their families and those we have all loved and lost.
    Our thoughts should be with them always - if it was not for them our lives would be very different.

15. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

we had a one minute silence in school today... altho most of my year would have preferred 2 minutes i think... but still at 11 o clock there was an announcement that started the minutes silence... and one to end it. i think this year rememberance day is more important to people in england, because of the war in iraq.

in my form this morning our teacher showed us a video clip that lasted a couple of seconds and it was part of a poem (i cant remember what it was called... dolce something, but it was in latin or italian something similar to that) and it really did make me think when it came to the minutes silence.

we must all remember the people who died in world wars because we probably wouldnt live in the type of world we live in now.. where we have freedom. i think also now we must remember the people who are out in iraq as well... especially the people who have been killed.

thank you

16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

the perfect sentiment....

17. Di

Di Active Member

Quote: (Originally Posted by super_sop)
    They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM[/quote]

Did it do that to you too?

I won't be able to get to an armistice parade on Sunday. :-( But I will be thinking of those who gave us what we have today.

18. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Was it 'Dulce et Decorum Est', a poem by Wilfred Owen, a WW1 poet who died just a few days before the end of the great war.

19. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

yeah thats the one... i knew someone would have got it from my vague description of it.

20. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

21. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

For how long has Remembrance Day been acknowledged in the UK with 2 minute's silence, etc, on 11 November rather than the nearest Sunday (as when I lived in England)? Is the service at the Cenotaph in Whitehall still on the Sunday? This is the first year I've been aware of any change.

In the USA, 11 November is celebrated as Veterans Day and is a national holiday for many, e.g., government workers.

22. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

i've just recently been studyin that poem in english, its such a sad and depressin poem, but hey somebody's gotta state the realities of war !!:-(