Wayaye, living in cloud cuckoo land ya knaa??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, May 13, 2007.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Just seen on Sky Sports news some Newcastle fan being interviewed about the imminent arrival of Big Sam Allerdyce as manager, and he said "Well I think we need someone with experience in Europe and the Champions League, a couple of appearances hear and there isn't really enough."

Erm...why?!?!??

This will be the Newcastle in next years Champions League will it?

No?

Ok, the UEFA Cup then?

No?

oh.
    Bolton 7th and in the UEFA Cup, Newcastle 13 and...erm well, 13th.
    Am I missing something?

2. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Too many Newcastle fans seem to be like that. They haven't won anything in ages but still think they're one of the european elite. Big Sam could be just what they need, someone whose main aim is to actually win football matches.

3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Typical Geordie nonsense; Nottingham Forest have a more recent history of European success than Newcastle. They also have a proud heritage and a big(ish) ground, but nobody suggests that they need a manager with Champions League experience.

Newcastle need someone with the pods to tell Shepherd that he's an idiot and someone who can spend whatever money might be available wisely. Big Sam is probably the right man for the job, and doesn't arrive at St James's under the cloud of a recent relegation or sacking.

4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Who actually pays any attention to

a) Sky Sports News
    b) Any "fan" that is willing to be taken as a soundbite for their "news" bulletins

Perhaps if you are really interested in what Newcastle fans think you should have a read of nufc.com before tarring us all with the fatal Sky Sports brush.

For what its worth I think the club needs to take a long hard look at itself given the bung allegations aimed at Allardyce and the fact NUFC sacked Kevin Bond for seemingly far less....

I also happen to think Sam might finally get our backroom sorted and get some players out of the physio's room. Who knows we might even start to win some games.

P.S. Mr Draconis, our big(ish) ground is only the 3rd biggest league ground in the country after Old Trafford and The Emirates.....

P.P.S Can we have less of the cliched geordie talk in subject titles, its almost cringeworthy. Thanks.

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

Especially the one talking on Radio 1 News y'day:

"Look at what Big Sam achieved at Bolton with moderate attendances, and imagine what he'll achieve with a crowd like ours."

Errrm, point well and truly missed I think............

6. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

:p ...I agree I don't actually know anyone who talks like that.

As for Newcastle, time will tell whether Big Sam is just a higher profile stop gap than Roeder until Shearer decides he wants to get into management, or whether he is actually going to get time (more than 2 years) to turn the club around. Just seen on the BBC website that Titus Bramball is one of 5 players leaving this summer...if Allardyce starts as he means to go on it looks all good :clap:

7. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

There's always a few fans at any club misguided enough to beleive one change of management is going to change everything. I heard a man city fan telling me today that "Now Pearce has gone we can start pushing for the premiership!"

Just one thing though. Isn't it only three years since Newcastle WERE in the group stages of the champion's league under Bobby Robson? And (By a whisker) managed to qualify from the group stages?

If anyone in the north east is expecting first-year miracles, I think they're sadly misguided, as the problems at St Jim's run a lot deeper than the chap who talks to Garth Crooks after the match. Getting rid of titus bramble is a good start, but it's got to be carnage this summer to make a real difference.

But look on the bright side. In the past, they let managers spend £30m plus over the summer, waited five games and THEN sacked them after all the transfer budget had gone.

Regardless of Allardyce's pedigree (Or lack of) if they can avoid the chairman shooting him for not winning everything in his first year, that's got to be a step in the right direction. Stability and a couple of decent top-half finishes might not grab headlines... but that's what Newcastle need.

8. geordiecolin

And of course "Newsbeat" is an example of good journalism!!

Methinks not.

Do people not think that they choose to play the most ridiculous and sensationalist quotes they can gather..... I didn't hear them play the "Sam Allardyce, reasonable appointment, might get rid of some of the p**sartists" quotes, did you?

9. geordiecolin

What he said.

Not sorry to see the back of Titus Shambles!

10. Thirteen Ball

Ressurrecting an old thread....

Somewhat dissapointed to see Joey "Bruiser" Barton and Mark "Pies" Viduka banded about as targets.

Viduka is good, but lazy as sin.

Barton is a thug, plain and simple.

But getting rid of fat fred from the chairman's seat can only be a good thing!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Newcastle 13
    Big Sam Allerdyce
    Champions League
    Sky Sports
    Wayaye
  12. geordiecolin

...although it sounds like fat fred would be retained as a paid chairman.

woopeedoo

The only thing he's got going for him is the pennies he puts into the club.

13. Thirteen Ball

Shoots managers a bit quick - and at the wrong time - but I'll admit, he's thrown enough of his own cash at the club.

Tyne-Wear derbies again this year too. Bring it on!

14. You Magpie fans are all deluded!
    You really think you are gonna get into the Champions League next season??????
    Yes, Big Sam is a good appointment, but he is only waiting until the England job crops up again - you had a fantastic manager in Bobby Robson and get rid of him for a (ahem) "health scare".

Ruud Gullit, Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Keegan and Glenn Roeder - all great players, all (with the exception of Dalglish - he actually won something) abysmal managers.

Andy - Liverpool till I carck it

15. You Maggies need a defence first - I have a couple of dustbins I can loan you for the season ( but they want proper wages)

Andy - laughing at the prospect of Newcastle losing to both Sunderland and Middlesboro again!

16. Thirteen Ball

Stevo, with respect, the magpies legendary "ropey defence" is historically not a lot worse than anyone else's.

A lot of people refer to Kevin keegan's era as the "You score four, we'll score five" era, and there's a grain of truth in that.

But in keegan's last two seasons we had the third best 'goals against' column in the league.

A defence is only half the battle. How much do Man United's defenders actually do? Or Chelsea's? I saw John terry described as a 'colossal' defender in a game where he touched the ball four times a half.

Part of the reason those teams defences are seen as being so strong is the strength of their attack. It's not easy to play against them if you haven't got the ball.

Bobby Robson's first signing was Kevin Gallacher from Blackburn rovers. With the geordies shipping two or three goals a game, many people questioned the wisdom of buying a striker, but he was quick and workmanlike, and he gave the team an outlet, which gives the midfield chance to push up, and the defence chance to re-organise.

Shearer did the same, with his strength and aerial ability, he just had to win a knock down for Gallacher to feed off, and they were away.

(Which is why it astonishes me liverpool often play crouch up front on his own. Any target-man needs a yappy little terrier of a forward to support him)

It's a fair while since any of that sort of football's been played on tyneside, however I think Sam is smart enough to know where the problem lies. And if you're scoring two or three times a match, leaking a couple at the back is no sin.

And he's bought in Rozenhal (Who I've never seen play) so at leas he's spent on a defender, unlike some we've had!

PS. A pint at the areas next year says we've not lost to sunderland OR middlesborough by that point next season!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  17. geordiecolin

Well we won't lose to the mackems if they play Chops up front!!

£5mill! What a rip off.

18. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Keegan turn up with the "you score 4, we'll only score 3 and I'll look sooooooo dejected at the end" mentality when he mosied on down Anfield way?

And is that a pint per result or just a half?

Andy - the future's bright, the future's Torres

19. geordiecolin

*yawn*

Change the record.

20. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Magpies - easiest football supporters to wind up in the world. Ever.

Andy - tongue in cheek

21. geordiecolin

No need for it though really. I don't go mouthing off in LFC thread just to get a rise...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Newcastle 13
    Big Sam Allerdyce
    Champions League
    Sky Sports
    Wayaye