Way We Were - John Golland

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by I bang AND Blow!, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Does anyone know if the above is an arrangement of the Barbara Streisand song, or is it a diffeent piece which shares the same name?
  2. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

You're right, it is the Marvin Hamlisch song as recoreded by Streisand. Golland arranged it as a flugel solo and it works well...

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It is the same song, I think originally arranged for flugel and band (Marvin Hamlisch arr. John Golland)

:dunno I must be getting slow, Dave! Pipped to the post again!
  4. Thanks!
    Don't suppose u can remember what key it's in?
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... only heard it before on a recording ... It's published by Studio Music so someone here can help!
  6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Sorry Tom, I'm generally much quicker now that I'm no longer living with Wagner...

It's in the key of C for flugel, (G if you're a horn player, Bb concert if you're a music student...)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Wagner? LOL!!! I thought my work with Rienzi ended a couple of years ago, but ended doing more groundwork into the life and times of the composer to cover all aspects of his early period. Suppose it did me a good turn in the end (... pun intended! ;) ). Funny thing about the actual opera is that Wagner thought it was too long, so he took out a lot of the repeats and split it into two parts ... then we had the Rise And Fall of Rienzi (a bit like Reggie Perrins!) and then the audience protested saying they were ripped off with the new format. It got changed again. Better sticking to the evergreen songs of Barbara Streisland methinks!
  8. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

i cant believe you;ve never heard/played this laura!!!!
    its been around a bit!!
  9. I can't help it if I'm a mushroom can I?!