Waving your arms in front of a band - it can really make or break!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rambo Chick, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

I'm busy busy preparing for an amateur theatre production of Brassed Off. (It starts on Friday)

I'm acting and playing which is great fun. (For those of you who know me, you'll guess which part I'm playing!)

Now, we've got non-musical people standing in front of the band and waving their arms aimlessly and with little/no sense of rhythm and pulse. The problem is half the band is following them! It's really getting in the way! I think it's down to inexperience of some of the players and not listening to the leaders....tut tut.

It really makes you appreciate how much musicians look at the person in the middle and take cues from them!

Has anyone else had this trouble? How did you resolve it?
  2. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Sounds like a few MD's I know ;-)
  3. I can't help much. I direct several groups, and haven't caught any one watching me yet.
  4. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

Thanks Rob, your too kind !! :clap:
  5. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

Get the band leader to tap the rythm with his foot, or tell everyone to ignore the pillock up front (as we usually do!) and follow the percussion or basses... Basses I think as we are the engine room of the band and never ever slow down on the tricky bits :)
  6. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

never listen to the drummer
  7. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

I like to - it helps me visualise what it would sound like to be building an Amish barn in the garden...:D:D
  8. Lucy V

Lucy V New Member

Why does everyone always have to have a go at the drummer?

You'd be lost without them and have you all as brass players actually tried to play kit at full tempo and get all the co-ordination right?
  9. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

nope....I'm married to one....I never EVER listen to him...lol! (only joking babes...honest)
  10. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Hah many a true word spoken in Jest. My wife never listens to me either!
  11. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

I quite agree - it's damned difficult. But a nice easy target for a joke!
  12. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

I have a new friend......... :tongue:
  13. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

I'm hoping i'm not one of those you are thinking about ?? haha :)
  14. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

He he no, not at all Simon!! You've never hard "cartwheelitis" ;-)
  15. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

We've not long finished doing Brassed Off in Stoke and it was great fun! The 2 who stood in front 'conducting' us weren't all that bad, but that made it even harder because they gave the impression they could keep a beat - NOT. It was hard for some players to ignore the 'conductor' even tho' they were told to pretend they were in the bandroom and doing what they usually do! :biggrin:
    We relied on the drum to keep time for some pieces and the principal cornet to waggle his head and instrument in a huge gesture when we needed to come off the beat at the end...! Not without a few near misses, but a great experience which we all enjoyed enormously!
    Good luck! :D
  16. blue juice

blue juice Member

Don't look at the conductor at all. Follow principal cornet. Worked for us.
  17. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

what are we supposed to do?!
  18. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Thanks everyone - good to know it's not just our band having difficulties! It is getting better though. :)

As someone mentioned earlier, sometimes the 'conductors' look as if they have the beat so players start following them, then it all goes to pot!! Hehe. It is fun though, definitely! We'll get there I'm sure.