Washing out instruments!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cornet gal!, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Cornet gal!

Cornet gal! New Member

Hi all!
    I'm about to wash out my cornet, this is my plan, please correct my errors and tell me things I should do if I don't already plan to do them, thanks!!

1) Take it apart, tuning slides, and valves!
    2) Leave it soak in the bath for 10 mins in cold water, don't put valves in water
    3) I got these bristle brushes in a cleaning kit so brush the insides of each tube i can get into
    4) Put cold water through it
    5) Dry and put back together, grease the slides.
    6) Rinse in cold water,dry and oil valves put valves back in.
    7) Go over with a silver polish cloth thing!

Thanks everyone, I haven't ever really been told how do to clean it out properly, so is this right?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cold water
    oil valves
    errors
    plan
    insides
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

You can use a mild detergent (like dishwashing liquid) if you want when you soak it.

4. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

I normally use warm water with a bit of washing up liquid, breaks up the grease better. :D

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

same as ^.... warm water... lil bit of washing up liquid.... and my ol' tooth brush! :lol:

;)

6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

While you have everything apart, check for loose fittings, etc, and the corks and screws on the water keys.

You are correct not to soak your valves, but you can soak the top and bottom (especially) valve caps.

I usually let my parts air dry for a while before reassembling, so as not to have water trapped in the curves of the slides, etc.

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

That's a good link. The only thing I would say is that most manufacturers now specify that valves should not be soaked, presumably because of new materials used in the construction (nylon guides, etc).

9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

My mum sed that i should use dettol i havnt cos we dont hav any and it seems a bit odd plus my mum dusnt no anything bout brass instruments can anyone tel me if its safe.And also one of my slides is stuck is there any way i can get it out without having to get Robert to send it to a repair person.

10. trumpetmike

I would personally avoid Dettol - my recommendation goes to Fairy washing up liquid, although there are many other fine brands out there.

With any stuck slides, the best option is to take it to a decent repairman. If you try taking it out yourself and do further damage you may well end up paying for expensive repairs.

11. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

ooooooooooooo fairy liquid great excuse to mess about with it :D I'll ask Robert if he could get it fixed though he might not be very pleased with me int my fault tho it was stuck when he gave it to me.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cold water
    oil valves
    errors
    plan
    insides
  13. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Oh yea i forgot to ask what should you use to grease slides i use vasaline but is there anything else you recomend?

14. impycornet

impycornet Member

lanolin

But it stinks !!!!!!!!!!!

15. trumpetmike

Vaseline is (in my opinion) fine.

Personally I use the Selmer slide grease. I find it to give a really good grip, yet still allows me to move it quite easily.

I have also used lipsalve. I needed to grease my slides and that was all I had. It worked fine.

16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I use the Selmer slide grease too - its great stuff provided you don't use too much. I usually just put a very thin ring of it around the middle each of the "working" part of the slide and then work the slide back and forwards in the instrument a few times to get an even coating.

Another tip - if your using warm water make sure it isn't too hot! Especially if your instrument is finished in laquer. As I found out to my cost some years ago, hot water does a pretty good job of stripping the edges of the laquer coating!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  17. Cornet gal!

Cornet gal! New Member

Thanks everyone, am I right about my valves though?
    I was going to Rinse in cold water, dry and oil valves before putting them back in, is this ok or is there something else I should be doin?
    Thanks

18. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

you can wash it with toothpaste, your values that are and they smell nice at the end of it!!!

19. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

You wash your valves with toothpaste :-? !!!Does that not make them go al sticky.

20. HBB

HBB Active Member

Prolly not if you wash it off after :eek:

21. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

No sure I would advocate toothpaste - some kinds have abrasives (not to common nowadays, but could still be in some brands). Could also contain flouride, bleaching agents, etc that might not play nice with the metal alloys in the valve body. Never tried it, so I can't say for sure, but I'd stay away.

I use only a mild detergent and a soft brush on the valve bodies - anything else is probably overkill.

22. Incognito

Incognito Member

How long have you been playing?
    And you have never actually cleaned it out?

Louis Armstrong did his every day....