Was yours the first time --What did??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nook1938, Aug 29, 2006.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Was yours a first time Pass, when you took your Driving Test and what did the instructor say to you, if you can remember ?????

Mine was a first time pass and I can remember the chap saying" we have some time left ,where would you like to go " I replied as long has we do not go down Coney Street, now some of you might know York and know Coney Street now is for Shoppers only but in the 60s it was a busy 2 way road with shoppers to contend with, to go down there when you have just passed your driving test, not a nice thought.

To go off topic but another piece of "uninteresting" knowledge about York, some of you might have played in Parliment Street and did you know that was also a very busy road, the building which is the Toilet Block was just for Gentlemen and you went down two flights of stairs, believe me, you did not linger long down there, it was a case of shake rattle and roll and out again. :redface:

Back to topic, MOD'S could we have a Poll, see how many first time passes and what area? :tup

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  2. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

I passed first time!! Don't think the instructor said much as I chatted away to him for the whole test!

Not like me at all...:oops:
  3. Veri

Veri Member

I was a second time pass. The first time he said that I would have passed, had it not been for the rather major incident going onto the dual carriageway where he had to slam on the dual control brakes. (In my defence, when I had done this with my driving instructor there had never been anything on the carriageway before...so prob v good that I didn't pass - I remember being gutted though that I had to ring my friend and ask her to pick me up for band that night though!)
    I don't remember what he said the second time.
  4. Bungle

Bungle Member

Passed first time on all three tests (I'm old enough to have taken the two part bike test 23 years ago) For the second part of the bike test the examiner (on foot in those days) asked what I though of my emergency stop, I said "it could have been better", to which he replied, "if I had been a small child I would have been dead". He still passed me though. It was then about five years before I took my car test, but after using a motorbike practically every day, I had the road sense just needed to learn the mechanics of driving.
  5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I passed first time but my theory had been a bit tad shaky to say the least, so just before he handed me the form he said "I'm going to pass you because your driving was exceptional, however I suggest that before you take to the road you familiarise yourself a little more with the highway code and all it contains!"

I gave a nervous giggle and said "yeah, me too" (or words to that effect) and he actually pulled the form away from me again and said "I don't think it's a laughing matter, do you?"

I don't think I've ever been so nervous in my life!!! I actually thought he was going to reconsider passing me. Thankfully he didn't. :-?
  6. gawber

gawber Active Member

I passed first time. I don't remember what the examiner said to me as I was too traumatised by the whole experience. So much so that on completing the test, when he asked me my postcode I got it wrong and he said I would have to take the test again as the details on his paper were incorrect. Luckily I realised my mistake and told him my correct postcode which matched what was on his paper!

My son passed on his second attempt. The examiner told him he done a 'perfect test'. He did not receive a single minor fault.
  7. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

I'm sure Verity can vouch for my fantastic driving skills...:wink:
  8. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

First time, me. No worries. In fact while I was doing my test my dad was getting his car insured for me. That's how confident he was that I would pass. Mind you, he did teach me to drive.
    I beleive I'm the only one of my siblings to pass first time...
  9. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Car Test - 1st time at 17, examiner said something like, erm, you passed. Then embarassingly took 4 attempts to get my HGV 1:oops:
  10. nook1938

Mr and Mrs M.O.D's could we not have a Poll for this, as I requested? :tup

11. 2nd man down

I believe if you edit your own first post you can add a poll yourself! ;)
  12. nook1938

I believed it was up to the Moderaters who looked after the contents of these Threads and not for anyone else to "fiddle" with the workings.

13. 2nd man down

No, no, you can set your own poll up, that's why the tool is there. Anyone can put a poll on a thread (as long as they started the thread in the first place) ;)
  14. nook1938

I must! read the small print. so what happens after you press Edit?
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  15. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I passed first time at 17,three months and one week after my birthday. Big sister also passed first time.....LIttle sister passed second time (hehe!)
  16. nook1938

Help! pressed Edit, and typed in "set up poll", now what happens?
  17. Hollie

Hollie Member

Passed on 27th July this year, first time with 3 minors!! Over the moooooon!!!!! :)
    The examiner said well done that was a cracking drive
    Instuctor grinned and gave me thumbs up!!
  18. persins

persins Member

Passed first time with an examiner that looked like a random drunk! I'm sure he just wanted a lift somewhere really!!

Once he told me I'd passed the then went on to list all of the things I'd done wrong. It went on for what seemed like ages and I actually then asked again if I'd actually passed!! After looking at the sheet, I'd only got 4 minors I think!!

One of my mates also passed at the same time in the same test centre so we were jumping around the car park for a while!!

No idea what my instructor said but it was something like well done, I'm sure.
  19. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Passed first time, though it was a few years ago so anything the examiner said has disappeared from memory.

The gents toilet block in Parliament St, still goes downwards towards the bowels (no pun, honest!!) of the earth and is still not a place to linger - especially if it is high tide!
  20. nook1938