Was there ever a 4v Imperial BBb?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by splitz, Apr 8, 2012.

1. splitz

splitz New Member

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there ever was a 4v Imperial BBb by besson/boosey - I see a lot of 3valvers going, but never 4v. The 3v's are good basses, and I'm looking at picking up a cheaper instrument for home practice and taking into work, as well as outdoor jobs etc. any ideas?

All the best
  2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've played a 4v Imperial with Cambridge Heath Brass - lovely instrument, one drawback being that the bore was too small to use my usual mouthpiece, but that could be resolved for anyone who was going to play it regularly. The only other problem I had was that the leadpipe was too high for me to rest it on my knees as I usually do, leading to some rather awkward balancing acts on chairs that were not really large enough to rest the bass securely.
  4. Tubby

Tubby Member

When I first went onto BBb at the age of 14 I was given a 4v Imperial to use by my SA band which was ex ISB great instrument and far better than any Sovereigns in my opinion.
  5. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Yep, certainly was/is. When I was with Luton Band, they had a beauty. Wonder where it is now. :)

I had one at Grange Moor band I had a sovereign leadpipe fitted to it to accept my DW 1L mouthpiece,I could give it some right welly and rasp..but I never thought it was big enough to take maximum welly.

Smashed up !:D