Was it really Grimethorpe?

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Brian Bowen, Jan 16, 2010.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

So what actually are you saying? That the there was nothing wrong in how badly the recording comes over on LTTB or that nobody playing below your level should have the audacity to comment on what they heard?

2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

isn't it a little early for the old "us vs them" chestnut?!
    Could have at least waited until after the regionals when someone from the almighty championship section's Mutz Nutz Colliery band will inevitably say that there was some overblowing from Arban Dodging Silver Prize Best in Breed Band in the 4th section...?

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm listening to the broadcast at the moment, Not one of Beeb's better efforts. It's quite amazing how much a band's sound can change via sound editing. I wonder if the remote 4X mono cluster surround sound mic was used again? (... this setup was used at the RAH).

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

As much as I don't like them, I'm fairly convinced what I was hearing wasn't down to the use of a Soundfield (even if it was one)...although if you get the decoding wrong it can sound a little, er, odd ;)

Bottom line for me is that something technological has got in the way and you can make no judgements / draw no conclusions from the listen again audio at all.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Easy way for me to tell is to listen to the applause and decide if it sounds natural. Far from it in this case. There was a lot of digital clipping, high ends to cover up basic faults (mid range lacking?) ... and what about Michael Dodd's sound? Sheesh, he must have felt disappointed to hear what was done to it.

6. KMJ Recordings

Soundfields make good audience mics ;)

It's entirely possible - highly likely even - that none of this is purposeful...Tx processing is largely automated...and if the box is set up incorrectly for the programme material, then it's entirely possible to change dynamic levels, balance, spectral content (based on frequency bands and not on instrumentation) and so on. Next time you're playing with some audio, strap a multiband compressor across the master bus...and deliberately set it up incorrectly and see how fast you can wreck the mix. It's a similar sort of thing.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've done it ... usually on purpose though! If I need to extract some detail, I use a combination of passes, filters & compressors. Basically, a recording (especially that of a band) can be flattered or destroyed. I haven't heard the earlier BIC broadcasts, but Grimey & Briggus were not given any favours on this example. Cheap to Audiophile playback would have delivered the same result.

8. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

well said Andy........again on here! Maybe if people listen to the audience reaction at the end of the organ symphony, that might give a slight indication of how much the piece was enjoyed by the people at the Sage. Yes, little slips here and there......bits of tuning........but what abut the bits of awesome playing around the band? And as for the music that was chosen to be played on LTTB, don't the people who listen to the show want to hear the music played by the bands that came higher up? and the performances that picked up the prizes on the day as you heard on friday night? Best march, most entertaining item, best soloist etc etc. Surely it's only right for the show to broadcast a playlist like fridays?

9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

This was the last of 3 programmes all recorded at the BIC contest the previous 2 were excellent (made up for not going for a listen this year). Was really looking forward to this one but it certainly did sound most odd - as for the Brighouse tuba+ solo completely lost on the radio (similar to snooker on the radio) I guess you had to be there to get it or wait for the DVD to come out.

10. brownrob

brownrob Member

I heard it was rather good that solo

when is the DVD out?

11. AmandaD

AmandaD Member

It was a great solo, but that was more down to the antics of Shaun Crowther and Dicky Evans, than stunning music, so it's not a good radio piece.
    The Grimey pieces also did not come over as well as they did on the day (or the week after at City Hall).

Amanda.x.

12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

It sounded like the audience were enjoying it - just didnt come over on the radio (have a listen, its still on playback). Don't the DVDs usual come out in time for the areas?

13. Blagger

Blagger Member

Thats the funniest thing ive heard all week Aidan - thanks :p

14. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Percussion was absolutely horrendous!!

15. KMJ Recordings

In the version I heard there was a rather prominent glock 'solo' where the rest of the Band all but disappeared ;)

16. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

haha cheers jonesy. yeah the glock bit is a bit loud! really don't remember using tubular bell mallets on it? :)

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

18. bannisa

bannisa Member

Lol

19. Di B

Di B Member

oops!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010