was i the youngest???

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by drummergurl, Mar 13, 2004.

1. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

its been bugging me for a while,
    in october 2003 i played at the albert hall in london with haydock at the finals. was i the youngest at 14 years 3 months???

p.s. i played with cambridge university brass band last night so does that also make me the youngest girl at cambridge uni at 14 years and 8 months?
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'm sure that younger people have done degree's at Cambridge (with Forceful parents).

There's lots of Kids doing GCSEs way early! :D
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

When I was doing Maths at Warwick, there was a 12 year old in the year below me. I remember being unfeasibly pleased when I found out that I'd done better in my first exams than he had! There's some info on the BBC website, here.

There have been some very young undergraduates, particularly in Maths - Ruth Lawrence was the most famous case some years ago. She now appears to be working as a Mathematician in Jerusalem - http://www.ma.huji.ac.il/~ruthel/. You can look at her CV at the bottom of the page - scary stuff! First degree at 14, doctorate at 18, a Professor at 22... Randomly, I almost share a birthday with her...

As for Cambridge, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Pebody. Google doesn't turn up anyone obviously younger than that, but I presume that there have been some. I thought Lord Kelvin might have been an example, becoming an undergraduate at the age of 10, but that was at Glasgow; he didn't go to Cambridge until he was 17: http://physicsweb.org/article/world/15/12/6.

You may be onto a winner with the Finals, though...

4. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

My 7 year old nephew played at the national finals last year in Dundee with my band!!
    he was on percussion and he played a stormer! we came 2nd :wink:
  5. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

If I'm not mistaken, I think Malcolm Dick, percussionist extraordinaire, was the youngest player ever at the National Finals, with Patchogue Plymouth Amoco Band (or Ever Ready???) I'm sure one of those of greater experience in North east banding will be able to clarify this. Nevertheless, well done on your debut at the National Finals!!!
  6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

"four-year-old sister Zuleika is expected to sit her maths A level by the age of six" taken from the above article :shock: :shock: :shock:
  7. Scott

Scott New Member

Michael Fleming was 12 :shock: when he played for Whitburn on 2nd horn at the 'Nationals' last year in the Albert Hall...is that a new record???
  8. weemarky

weemarky Member

also he was 13 wen he played 1st horn (sitting nxt to his dad awwww) at the open an came 2nd !!!! :!:

amazin wee player
  9. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Maybe it wouldn't been me this year . . . * sighs * never mind, always next year.