Warning - fraudulent euph-seller on eBay

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by norwegian_baritone, Jul 13, 2007.

1. norwegian_baritone

norwegian_baritone New Member

Just a short message to warn you about a fraudulent seller on eBay, pretending to sell a Willson 2900S euphonium.

Sellers ID is joelmidey5, but he will probably not use this alias again. His scheme worked out like this:

I was bidding on the instrument, and was reaching 800 GBP, when the item suddenly was withdrawn from the auction. I contacted the seller via email, and he told me that the instrument still was for sale, because another buyer had trouble with the payment. He then offered me to buy the Willson for 1000 GBP.

Knowing that the retail price for the instrument is at least twice this amount, I became slightly suspicous, especially since the instrument was not more than two years old. I told him that I wanted to use an escrow service to secure the deal, but he told me that this would be done through eBay, and that they would contact me.

A couple of hours later, I received an email, apparently from eBay, which detailled out the steps of the transaction. What really got my alarm bells ringing was the payment method described: I was supposed to use MoneyGram, a wire transfer service, to settle the payment. I have spent some time reading the eBay help pages, especially those regarding payment, and several places there are dire warnings about using wire transfers.

I checked the headers on the mail, and found it to be fake; sent from a yahoo webmail account. Probably the same account as the scammer was using.

eBay has been warned, and the crook, named Joel Midgley, has received a rather harsh email from me, which he of course not has responded to.

So - take care when doing business on eBay.

I am still looking for a good euph though, so please contact me if you have an instrument for sale. A compensated model in good shape would be preferred.

Regards from the land of the midnight sun (yes, we can play in daylight all night long!)

Ole Irgens
  2. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Good of you to come on tMP to warn us. And welcome by the way. I hope you stick around the boards.

I don't have a Euph for sale unfotunately but good luck with the search.
  3. agentorange

agentorange Member

I was watching this item myself - not because i need another euph but just because it seemed to good to miss at the price. Glad you had the sense to check up on this and well done for alerting us all on TMP.

I think that there's a lesson for us all there - if an offer seems too good to be true then it probably is not all it seems.
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Well said. Thanks very much for taking the time to post on tMP warning others about this scam.

Best of luck with your search - I hope next time you find a genuine bargain. :)