Warning for Webmasters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by mikelyons, May 6, 2006.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'm putting this here, because it's important, but if it is in the wrong place, mods, please feel free to move it.

This is just a word to webmasters, I may be late - my site isn't all that important, but I have recently been swamped by people putting (or trying to put) advertising links on my guestbook. Typically, they have yahoo addresses, but thankfully, my guestbook is monitored before anything goes out. These people have a damned cheek - especially as I have a page for links which I'm amenable to be used if people ask.

Band webmasters might want to check their guestbook entries and see if any cheeky beggars have done this to them. I know not everybody's guestbooks are moderated.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    guestbook
    webmasters
    place
    anything
    advertising links
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Mike, I've moved this to Random as we are trying to keep the User News area for Band news :tup

I can see your annoyance though - and we have a similar problem here on tMP at times too. FWIW my band's guestbook requires posters to copy some random numbers before it'll let you submit, which stops the spammers. But obviously if people want to use a guestbook (or a forum for that matter) to manually type their ads then its very difficult to stop them.

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yup - mine too. And we receive zero spam!

Guess it's time to look at different guestbook software/server Mike? ;)

5. Di

Di Active Member

We seem to be having a quiet spell again at the moment (touch wood), but we seem to go through phases where we get several entries a day from chemists etc advertising their goods. We've had a word filter on ours which seems to be doing the trick.

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Thank you - I knew some mod-like being ;) would move it in a mysterious way to a new location if I put it in the wrong place.

I suppose I really ought to update to a new guestbook, but it's having the time, inclination, energy/concentration and less than a zillion things to mark by Monday.

At the moment I'm in a trough of exhaustion as the exam preparations continue and exams happen. Also, while the weather is sunny our rooms are at boiling point all day (you can see the steam rising off the kids if you look closely) and I've also been ill every weekend for the last several weeks. I haven't even been to the junior band for the last fortnight because I feel too tired :( .

I'll get over it eventually, I usually do, but this time of year is a pain.