Warning - Don't sleep on band tours

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Jul 21, 2006.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

This video link shows what can happen if you go to sleep on a band tour.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=897879432382630886

It was taken on KSB's trip to Belgium in 2001 - it still makes me chuckle everytime I see it. The girl a sleep is called Fran and I think she plays for Maltby, her mate is Yorkshire Puddin. The vocal accompaniment is provided by Rob our bass trombone player.

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

:clap:
    Just about to take a band on tour - thanks for giving me an idea:biggrin:

3. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Not much chance of sleeping when Rob's on the coach.

4. I hope you gained frans permission for this?!
    It was the funniest thing i have ever seen, and anyone doubting the authenticity, it was totally true, and she couldn't have put that on.
    but well done fran for providing laughs to the whole brass band world!

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

At uni, if you fell asleep on a band bus you usually woke up to the the smell of a wet nap covering your face (not to be confused with a wet nappy).

6. fulcherc

fulcherc Member

wet nap

sorry to be thick, but what's a "wet nap"?

:-?

7. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Hehehe!!!!

Yeah, I think it's just a bad idea to fall asleep whenever there's anyone else around!! :rolleyes:

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

It's one of those tiny moist towelettes that comes in a small square package. It is premoistened with an alcohol based cleaning solution.

9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Oh dear, oh dear - who didn't take his own advice and fell asleep going to the job?

Our stand in conductor for the weekend (Shaggy) brought along something called a Master Blaster which is apparently used for starting yacht races or for use in fog. Daniel was well away when he was blasted awake - regretably the resultant reaction was not videoed as our resident Steven Spielberg had left his camera on stand-by. It would have been on a par with the Fran video.

Anyone else got any "do not sleep on a band tour" videos?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Have no fear........

......."I'll be back" as someone once said. Yess indeed poor old Daniel wont be having any sinus trouble for quite some time i suspect after getting caught with the trusty old master blaster. His face was an absolute picture!, sadly, I was let down by the KSB cinematography department. Gregg Toland can rest easy in his grave thats for sure!

Still, "every cloud......" as they say. The journey back on the coach was interesting, everyone was determined NOT to be caught out by the master blaster, consequently my every movement was closely monitored by those hoping to avoid a visit from the "KSB insomnia crash team" all of which has got me thinking, I might stand a chance of getting players to stay awake and keep their eyes on me a bit more if i conducted with the ****** thing.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    KSB
    Belgium
    Yorkshire Puddin
    Maltby
    Rob
  12. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Guilty as charged

Yes fans you can now catch me on tmp! It has taken many,many tours to master the technique but I feel it's come along nicely.Have to say Shaggy did us proud with the old master blaster it was particularly effective on the morning after the beer the night before, one of the victims nearly dropped the kettle he was filling at the time as the toilet was at the other end of the log cabin.I also do moons.my record is 42mins before getting "caught short" by a patrol car passing the coach.good job really as my backside was like a Garfield in the window at this point.:cool:

13. persins

persins Member

That is nothing compared to what went on on the Wessex Military band trip to Germany.

Tubas placed in basketball nets. Carefully of course and then left for the player to find his own way of retriving it.

Uniforms hung 20 feet in the air on Gymnastic rings suspended from the ceiling!

People covered in permanent marker.

Of course the obligatory eyebrow shaved off (just the one so that the poor victim had to do the other one himself!)!

Toothpaste on the soles of the feet!

Hands placed in luke warm water.

All good fun when it's somebody else!! Thankfully, I think I managed to escape most of it this time but I've been caught in the past.

14. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

15. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Nice one Mr Persins some of those gags bring back memories of previous exploits such as:
    Covering sleeping lad in leg wax strips
    Removing lats from bunk beds
    Gluing plugs in sockets
    Shaving off 3quarters of a monobrow and replacing with marker pen
    Nailing same lad in wardrobe
    Padlocking same lad in sleeping bag with large moth
    plastic poo in coco pops
    farting tea bags mixed in with real ones
    Super soak couple in tent at 4am
    Push wheelchair bound gentleman into a fountain
    Slide oil on conductors baton (Ask shaggy)

But my personal favourite is taping up lad's tackle and leaving a plate of chicken skin beside bed resulting in "The circumcision gag"

Guilty as charged again I'm afraid.I have yet to pay the bill for the lads counselling.

16. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

Just got back from a tour of germany with my (now) old band Wakefield Metropolitan...

Absolutely fantastic tour - couldn't have wished for better company... the people on the tour were fantastic...

I also happened to have my 21st birthday while in germany and shared the day with Richard Larder (principal cornet) who was "twenty-something"...!

We managed to take some shots and a few videos but quite a lot of these will not be suitable to show in public...

I'll try and find some suitable content to upload to "where-ever.com" and will re-post with a link later..

many thanks --- Andy Kennedy

17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yep, regrettably these were all incidents instigated by Rob and his mate on some of our past tours. We've had to put up with him at Killamarsh for the last 15 years, I just don't know why he's never been brought up in front of the committee on a "bringing the name of the band into disrepute" charge. Perhaps he threatened his victims with worse to come ;).

18. persins

persins Member

Blimey!! Some of those may have to be tried!! Not sure about the wheelchair in the fountain but the padlocking into sleeping bag will defiinitely have to be done!

19. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Obvioulsy not on the same leauge as you *cough* grown ups but in a slightly tame jackass way when on tour to Strasburg with the County Wind Orchestra our tuba player ate 13 bananas in a row on the coach, (theres a pic of him on myspace somewhere) ........he was sick in the shower. NIce!

We also had a boat trip down the river in a glass boat- it was boiling as it was a hot day and we were effectively in a green house! So therefore the obviouls thing for the same tuba player to do was to try and put on as many layers as clothing as possible. I forget how many he managed but it was quite entertaining watching him try to walk back thru the town still wearin them!

20. persins

persins Member

A valiant effort, but does it count considering it was his own choice?! I'm not so sure! Definitely worth an honourary mention though.

21. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I dont think it was entirely his choice to spend the rest of the day in however many layers of clothes he was wearing- they bribed him with......wait for it.......a can of coke once we got back to the hotel!
    Hmmm!! stupid boys! :rolleyes:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    KSB
    Belgium
    Yorkshire Puddin
    Maltby
    Rob