warmups and excercises for young band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Any ideas for warmups and excercise material for a band of kids?

Most material out there is written for Bb, and the Eb parts seem to be stuck in as an after thought. The result is Eb parts can be either too high or low for inexperienced players.

Any suggestions?
  2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I used to play with a concert band who used warm up books - there were books for all instruments Bb, C, Eb, F, etc.

I'll try and find out what they were called and where they came from. They had scales and exercises and some chorales in 4 part harmony too...
  3. Despot

Despot Member

Thanks! All suggestions appreciated! :)

I have a memory from way back a yellow (that could have been with age :) ) book that started with scales, then exercises and a few marches then waltzes. The tunes were old fashioned, but the excercises were something everyone could play.

Kinda hoping there was a modern equivalent of that! :)
  4. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I pointed out the Novello Band Book to you, Despot...
    Anyone out there used that?

ps. nice avatar ;)
  5. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Can anyone suggest a good little book of decent tunes with 4 parts (1st cornet, 2nd cornet, Eb horn, Euph) for kids?
  6. Despot

Despot Member

It's out of print!

Yes it's strangely familiar isn't it! ;)
  7. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Stuart Johnson has done a few, they've got things like Kum By Ya and things like that in. They're pretty easy, but all well known stuff.
  8. jpbray

jpbray Member

Guest conductors

This is particularly targeted at lower section bands. My point/question is would it be considered helpful to a band, to occasionally invite a guest conductor from a higher section band to take a rehearsal/workshop.

Yes I know there are going to be times when you someone to fill in for absences, but here I am taking about a scheduled event. :-?
  9. weecornetgirl

weecornetgirl New Member

hiya. In the Junior band at Kinneil... evry rehersal we play a few hymns to warm up with ...thyre quite easy so for beginers it wouldnt be too hard to pick up.:) other than that i used to use...tune a day books...:cool: they come for all instruments i think.
  10. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I think that the red hymn books would be good for a junior band. A lot will be well known to them from Junior School Assemblies.
    They are simple, and you don't need a full band to play them. It is also the ideal type of music which teaches youngsters to listen for tuning and intonation.
  11. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

The Standard of Excellence series by Bruce Pearson is worth a look.
    Bruce has recently done a 3 week tour of the UK and one of our companies provided sales support.
    Contact Ken Kendall at R.Smith & Co. on 01296 682220 for more information.
  12. jpbray

jpbray Member

Not just for good for Junior bands, but accross the board, it helps switch on everyone at the start of a rehearsal.
  13. winterman

winterman Member

I am using the old Salvation Army Training Book sometimes in our youth band (the same edition as the one that went on eBay for £70!!! MIne cost me £8 including shipping from Australia). It is a sort of cut down Arban with both Eb and Bb parts, very good.

Mic Tyler
    Solo Euph
    Drighlington Brass Band
  14. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Marches and more marches. Great for stamina building and don't kids nowadays need it! Westward Ho and Slaidburn are two simple marches to begin with.