warming up

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Baldbeaver, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Baldbeaver

Baldbeaver New Member

Can anyone tell me if there is such a rule in brass band competitions that you cannot warm up on the stage before your performance?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    brass band competitions
    rule
    stage
    performance
  3. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

i've never thought about that. but from when the whistles blown, or the beautiful bells as it were yesterday :lol: is when you're judged from on the test piece, so you definately couldn't then i dont suppose.

4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I don't have much contest experience, however, I can say that I've met many brass band people who seem to think that warming up and tuning on stage is somehow unprofessional. Which has always confused me, since every symphony orchestra does exactly that, and many of them are, of course, professionals.

I would imagine in a contest that anything that you do that the adjudicators can hear might potentially impact your score, regardless of when the "official" start of your test performance is indicated.

5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I think you'll find that, apart from those rules governing how many players you can have on stage, what instruments they should be playing, and regulations governing the registration of players, there are very few rules governing brass band contests at all. And unlike any other sporting competition, there are certainly no rules for the adjudicator to follow - which is probably why there is an endless debate on the relative merits of their decisions.

6. Steve

Steve Active Member

A lot of entertainments contests are adjudicated from the first note played on stage. Unfortunately this is taken to extremes and I have seen bands deducted points because the perc player hit the bass drum as he sat down and they went about two minutes over as the rest of the band still had to pile on and wait for the MD!

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

And there's always the chance that someone will use the warm-up to play a secret signal for the adjudicator to know which band it is :shock: :wink: :lol:

8. A J Foad

A J Foad Member

I've always believed that it is not permissable in the rules to warm up. That is simply because I find it so difficult to believe that anyone would choose not to have a bit of a toot before they play. I seem to remember reading that it is against the rules to tune up on stage, so I guess any notes played could be construed as tuning up. Not all contests are the same, but I have got the feeling on many occasions that the contest officials view any form of making the bands feel comfortable on stage as somehow giving them an unfair advantage! Perhaps that's one for another thread though...

9. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I suppose problems would arise in terms of timing a warm-up/tuning up. How long would you allow bands to do so? At some of the better run contests, there is a warm up room directly before you go on stage which you can use for five minutes before (e.g. at Symphony Hall). I was under the impression that once the adjudicators whistle had gone (or whatever is used) that anything the band does from then can be judged upon. And even if this wasn't the case, they would still be listening. In those contests were the first band has to do the anthem, it would be hard for the adjudicator to not start forming an opinion of the band before they even start the test piece!

10. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I don't know what the rules for any given contest state, but there are time restrictions for a very good reason - people have homes to go to! If you allowed every band extra time for warming up (realistically 10 minutes if its going to be a real one?) on top of setting-up and getting-off times, there'd be less than 2 bands an hour in the top sections.

Anyway, if you warm up properly before registration, whats the problem?

11. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Was it James Morrison who said "I don't need to warm up - I played yesterday"? :lol:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    brass band competitions
    rule
    stage
    performance
  13. BigD

BigD Member

Certainly in Scotland there is a rule where a band cant play in the hall on the day of the contest. I would think this would cover warming up. You might have to pray for a number one draw :!: so that you can play the queen before you start.

14. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

The one message which appears to be emerging from this thread is the general of ignorance of mostof us regarding the rules which govern what many of us consider most important. I wonder how many other sports have participants who are equally ignorant of the rules of their chosen pursuit?

15. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I think the onus should be placed on organisers to provide a tuning up room that can be used immediately prior to playing. From what my band colleagues tell me, adjudicators are becoming increasingly critical of tuning, and as a trombonist tuning can make or break a piece for me. It is no good tuning up and then standing outside to register (like at wychavon) because no matter how much air you blow through the instrument it will get cold and your tuning up has been a waste of time. Bands should be allowed to give it their best shot, but I agree that tuning up on stage would waste a lot of time (although I think the reason most bands don't tune up on stage even at concerts is because of tradition). To pick up the point of symphony orchestras tuning up - having listened to a lot of pro orchestras I would say that brass players produce very little of the pre-concert noise (often only playing to tune up and mabe the odd scale).

16. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Indeed, and on the registration cards, you everyone signs under a bit which says that you have read and understood the rules of the BFBB registry... wonder how many actually have? I know it like the back of my hand of course :roll:

17. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Things are little different here in the US. Here's a quote from the NABBA contest rules:

18. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Who needs to "know" the rules when every band has a copy and they're available on the net anyway?

There's not actually anything in the rules for the National Championships about what you can or can't play, but they do say
    "19 If any band is not ready to perform within four minutes of the time stated in the contest schedule, or of the preceding band vacating the stage, the band may face disciplinary action."
    Courtesy of the BFBB

So, if you reckon you can get on stage, set up, warm up effectively without affecting the adjudicators opinion and be ready to start in 4 minutes.... go for it! :wink:

19. IcklePablo

IcklePablo Member

I think deportment is a very important aspect of banding and if you go on stage playing it won't look (or sound) to good.

20. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

David Mason (ex Principle trumpetwith most London Orchestras, Penny Lane Piccolo player) advocates that you should get used to playing without a warmup. His theory is that you cannot rely on having time to warmup. When going to a gig (or contest!) anything can happen, bad traffic, tuba late etc which could mean you need to sit down and play immediately.

So by all means try to do a warm up - but don't rely on it. For people that practice everyday anyway this is not so much of a problem.

21. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The amount of warmup required depends greatly on the player. Even those who play every day may still require some sort of warmup, depending on their normal practice routine. But the provision of a warmup room at a contest should take care of that.

Looking at the various contest rules in this thread, it seems pretty clear to me that warming up on stage at a contest is probably not a good idea.

22. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Agreed, I always try to do one - the previous point was that you won't always get the chance.