Warm Ups...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TuTuKu, May 29, 2004.

1. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Don't know if this has been covered before, and i apologise if it has!

What do you all include in your warm up routines? Do you have 'set' routines or is it just a few long notes and then launch into playing (like me :oops: !)

I don't really have one, but as my stamina could do with improving, I thought that developing one may help. I'm always conscious of playing too much too soon and tiring my lips before I start playing properly!

Any advice on the matter would be gratefully received!

TuTuKu X

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    notes
    playing
    one
    Warm Ups
    routines
  3. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

ahhh, tutuku, how much more have to learn you have.

there has been a topic like this before, but a lot of people have joined since then!

here's the link

it has been updated a few times, and includes iggmeister's first post, and a classic kiss of death by the music man ;) !

4. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Thank you!!!

In my defence i am only 17 and my teacher has never really focussed on warm ups. I'll have a lookie and see what i can come up with.

5. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

it wasn't an attack!

but generally my philosophy is that you have to look at the general practice picture, and realise that warming up is not a lot of use if you don't use your practise to push yourself (and hence make your performance during band a place where you've already done the practise, and just need to remember what you've already done).

6. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I developed a warm-up routine when I was at college. On those days that were so full that I did not even have time to practice, at least I could squeeze in my 10min warm-up routine.

1. LONG NOTES beginning on middle G, and down diatonically to bottom G. (All my warm-up was done at mf, and never went higher than a top G).

2. LIP SLURS Starting on middle G - the following sequence: G upto C downto G upto E downto C upto G downto E downto C downto G downto C. Then follow this chromatically down to all 3 valves (or seventh position).

3. SINGLE TONGUEING a) beginning on middle G, down diatonically to bottom G, the following rhythm on each note: 2 crotchets 4 quavers 8 semiquavers 1 minim.
    b) befinning on middle G, up diatonically to top G, the following rhythm on each note: 4 semiquavers 1 quaver 1 quaver rest (twice) followed by 12 semiquavers 1 quaver 1 quaver rest.

4. HUFFING beginning on bottom G, a running scale up to top G, (if you need to know what a running scale is, ask me). NO TOUNGE completely fill lungs, (and I mean completely, so that the tummy expands), and produce notes using tummy muscles). (It took me about six months to develop/master this technique, but ALL my playing technique became considerably enhanced as a result - tone, flexibility, dynamic range etc etc).