Warburton cornet mouthpiece help

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by midlandman, Jul 26, 2015.

1. midlandman

midlandman Member

I currently use a wick deep mouthpiece for cornet / trumpet & Flugel. What is the best Warburton combination to use? I'm confused about the classifications. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Warburton for Bb cornet you're going to want the "BC" top and "BC" backbore (the BC tops and standard backbores DO NOT mix, and vice versa).

You may well want to drill out too, throats are tight on them (personally found them tight unless drilled out).

Tonewise, you'll find it somewhere between the no-letter and B Wick models.

Flugel mouthpieces, no experience.

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Which Wicks are you using?
    What do you want gain from a mouthpiece switch?

4. midlandman

midlandman Member

Thanks both
    im using a 2 wick and find I'm inconsistent in the top register.
    Dont play trumpet often so just wanted a familiar feel to the mouthpiece
    dont fancy having to drill out

5. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I use Warburton stuff for Cornet, Trumpet, Flugel and Sop. I found a rim size and a backbore I liked, more by luck than judgement, and then played around with cup depths. I use a 3D with (9* backbore) for Trumpet, 3D with (9*BC) for cornet in a wind band, 3BC with (9*BC) in a brass band, 3M or 3SV with (9*STD) for Sop and a 3FL for flugel.

To the contrary of Tom-King, I like the standard 3D with the BC backbore and feel that it works very well, I have however recently played a Stomvi Titan cornet, and found that the BC backbore was too small to fil in the receiver!!

It is all very personal choice and suggest you find a friendly music shop who will let you borrow a couple for a few weeks. Most of them now have special tape to stop insertion marks and don't mind people trying them out. Unfortunately is is a very expensive thing to get wrong.

6. GordonH

GordonH Member

The problem I have with switching from cornet to trumpet is consistency of articulation. I was discussing this with someone from one of the well known bands who is an orchestral trumpet player and was depping with my band. He suggested switching to a Breslmair rotary trumpet mouthpiece. After some experimentation I settled on their 3C rim with G2 cup and 117 backbore on trumpet with the 3c rim and F1 cornet underpart for cornet. The cornet one is similar to the Alliance "A" cup (although they do make a deeper one). The G2 cup is slightly more funnel shaped at the bottom than a Bach C cup, more like a B. Combined with the bigger throat it does make the articulation feel more like a cornet. I do have their 3C cup as well, but not found a use for it yet.

7. bathsop

bathsop New Member

Interesting comment about the throat as I tried a warburton on my sop and found that also. Personally I have found the standard throuat on Bach and Warburton (0.144" I think) makes my tone very trumpet like compared to the 4.1mm (0.161") of my Denis wick S. Have often wondered about keeping the cup and rim benefit of the warburton (my range is definietely better on it) but tone of the wick by drilling the warburton shank. One day I may try it and drill out a size at a time, it's just having the time and courage potenially ruining a set of warburton components!
    Out of interest Tom have you drilled them and if so how much?

8. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Just for the sake of clarity - that reference was to the BC/BC combinations, which I felt worked best with a #20-ish throat.

On sop I do prefer the standard (#27) throat/drill size - the length of the throat matters as much (if not more) than the diameter... the blank for the tops is the same for all the standard trumpet/cornet cups, so the shallower the cup is, the longer the throat is (and that translates to more resistance).
    What top and cup are you using?

To answer the question though - I did enlarge the throats of a few standard models to around #22 which really unbalanced things, I had to modify the shank to get it playing balanced again (reduced the length and removed material to get the insertion depth back). These played pretty well, but I prefer the stock versions.

There are certain Warburton and Bach models that I feel give me the tone I want but they're bigger cups (ID and depth) than a lot of people like to use on sop.
    (At the moment, I'm using a Curry 1.5C top on a Warburton 10 backbore, standard #27 throat)