wanted - soprano sax

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by yonhee, Nov 18, 2006.

1. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Although this is a brass band forum I was wondering if anyone had a soprano sax that they no longer need that would be suitable for a beginner,

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- is there no end to your talent and versatility? ;)

post edit:- Yamaha seems to be the recommended make on various sites.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  3. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Course there isn't :p It's bassoon next!
    No I just need a sax because I have tenor horn for brass band, french horn for orchestra, piano to not be able to play and now a sax to play in wind/jazz/big bands.
    Thanks though I shall look for yamaha ones :)
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Hi yonhee - I see you've asked specifically about a soprano sax, and wonder why you've specified that rather than alto or tenor. The playing opportunities for soprano are fairly limited, as it would not be found as a permanent member of a big band, which is usually 2 altos, 1 or 2 tenors, and baritone. The soprano was used a little more in the 20s and 30s, and certainly crops up as a doubling instrument, but most charts would not include soprano. Equally with wind band arrangements: the bigger scorings may include soprano, but it tends to be an optional part, with the exception of the occasional solo such as in Grainger's "Lincolnshire Posy" or Johann de Meij's "Lord of the Rings" symphony.

I would suggest most learners start on the alto, moving on to other instruments once they've picked up the basics. As to brands, there are other Japanese manufacturers who are very good besides the Yamaha. Selmer and Buffet are also worth looking at, especially if you prefer a lighter sound.
  5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Or come to Belgium or The Netherlands and play in a fanfare band, where the soprano sax has one of the most important parts (a bit similar to the soprano cornet in a brass band)

6. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I know but they're ace! Probably should learn on an alto though... They would also be easier to find and I might be able to borrow one from the music centre.
    I've seen some selmer ones but I shall look for some buffet ones too. Dankeschon. :D

:D When I can play I will go to Belgium :biggrin: They have chocolate in belgium :cool::p
  7. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

We have chocolate here too you know :tongue:

On topic: Have you played Clarinet before? do you have any desire to play clarinet? because If you do.... I would recommend learning clarinet first as apparently.... a clarinet player can move on to saxophone easily.... but a saxophone player will find it much harder to move on to clarinet.

By the way... I don't like clarinet... I played it for a while when I had braces.... far too hard when you've only got little hands!
  8. wkt

wkt Member

My son may be selling a soprano saxophone, which he has used very little. Not long after he bought it he was given a professional model by a band he plays with. I will speak to him and come back to you.
  9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Ohh danke.
    Fi I have played my little brothers clarinet but I don't like them...
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Is that little brothers or clarinets ? ;)
  11. wkt

wkt Member

Hi Yonhee, I have tried to pm you about this but I am getting a message to say that you have too many messages and need to clear some out. If you are still looking for a soprano saxophone please pm me and I can send you information about the instrument my son is thinking of selling.

12. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

Hi ,I have a ex rental elkart curved soprano sax for sale in my shop, its in mint condition as it was rented out for three months then handed back in.
  13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Yonhee...

I had a reply on a forum I am a member of, it's a tad expensive for what you are after I think, but this is the advice offered.
  14. Rustonw

Rustonw Member

Sop Sax

I have a new Bach Elkhart Straight Sop Sax in stock for £349.

County Music Supplies
    01743 361616