WANTED: Schilke Sop...

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Naomi McFadyen, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

We're looking for a 2nd hand Schilke Soprano Cornet...
    If there's any bands with a couple lying about and wanna sell one, or anyone who has one for sale, then please leave a message here, PM me or send an email to naomic@gmail.com

Many thanks in advance :biggrin:
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, I wish you luck but.... so long as you're sure you want a Schilke. Vastly over-rated in my humble opinion.
  3. Heppy

Heppy Member

Nonsense, best there is
  4. Soppy

Soppy Member

Schilkes are great. Buit then, I've never played anything else!

If you've got anyone going over to America soon though, it's cheaper to get them to buy a new one over there and bring it back as if they'd taken it over :)
  5. cherrybassett

cherrybassett Member

Schilke Sop

We have just traded one in at Fred Rhodes for a courtois sop. Ask them if they are wanting to sell it.
  6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Try a Blackburn - then see if you stay with that comment.
  7. Heppy

Heppy Member

Nah your alright.
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Oooh, get you!
  9. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Love my Shilke, sorry but i'm keepin it!!!!!, I think the band got it from Fred Rhodes, a good deal too from what i heard.
  10. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

You will be ok as long a you dont get a Tony Blackburn...Thats right pop pickers :)
    Just look at what the best Soprano players in the world play on , I am sure you will find a Courtois , a Yamaha and a Schilke. best going to dawsons / fred rhodes / Normans and see if you can find a good deal on a 2nd hand sop...also depends on how much you want to spend , I dont know if you can get hold of them anymore but a late 1970's boosey and hawkes sop used to sound brilliant ( built like a challenger tank)
  11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I note from Blackburn Trumpet's website that the list price for a Blackburn Eb Cornet (note they do not refer to it as a "soprano") is $4650. :eek: AFAIK, thats around double that of a new Schilke. Additionally, the only professional endorsement seems to come from a very strange-looking outfit calling themselves the "Mr. Jack Daniels Origial Silver Cornet Band" (see http://www.blackburntrumpets.com/archive2.html)

I realise the Dollar/Sterling exchange rate is quite favourable at present, but even so?

Does anyone know if there is a UK importer/distributor for these instruments at present, and how much this price translates into in real money, after import tax/VAT/mark-up etc.? Based on the difference between Schilkes US list prices and those of UK distributors, I would not expect the Blackburn to come in at much less than £4000.

Call me a cynical old git if you will, but are we seriously expected to believe that the quality of a Blackburn represents a 100% improvement on that of a Schilke?
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I don't know about that, but personally (he says, carefully), I would play a Yamaha in preference to a Schilke. Any instrument that (a) has a sharp middle C and (b) makes one have to play a middle G sharp in tune by playing it 3rd valve with the third valve trigger out is not for me. (And I'm not the only one to have had these problems. I've played 4 different Schilkes over a period of time and the tuning problems, even after allowing for my own deficiences, are identical!)
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not wishing to imply any deficiencies at all on your part, Dave ( ;) ), If you have the same specific intonation problem on four separate examples of the same instrument, I would interpret that as testament to the consistency of design/build quality of the instrument, rather than as evidence of a fault! As you say, I have seen reference to the Ab/G# problem elsewhere, however I don't have it on my Schilke sop. The 3rd space 'C' is marginally sharp, but, given that a majority of Bb cornet players play the equivalent (sounding) 5th line 'F' pretty sharp anyway, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. (We still badly need a good 'tongue-in-cheek' icon here ... ). The only real intonation problem I encounter on my sop is the 1st space 'F', which is slightly flat. This is only a problem because there is no alternative fingering, but I do find that the problem goes away if I do lots of practice (funny, that. :rolleyes: ). When I used to play the band's Yamaha sop (model 6610?) I used to find that 'F' much flatter, and almost impossible to 'lip-up'. Similarly, when my current sop player at Egham was buying a sop, he tried my Schilke, but after trying one out he opted for a Courtois. At the time, I tried the Courtois, but found it quite 'stuffy' to play, also I found the intonation generally quite flat above 'top' A. OK, you can use alternative fingering to get round it, but 'slotting' can sometimes be difficult. Point is, he preferred it (even if he did have to wait for the supplier to send 3 instruments before he got one with valves that went up and down!). At the end of the day, as trumpetmike is fond of pointing out, the 'right' choice is the one that works for you.

It seems to be generally accepted that there are many variables at play in the intonation of a given instument, not all of which can be controlled by the manufacturer. In particular, the player's own physical characteristics such as shape/size of oral/nasal (sinus) cavities, teeth/jaw formation, lip tissue/muscle thickness, can all affect the interaction between a specific player and a given instrument's intonation. Add to that the fact that the player may choose to use a mouthpiece with different throat/backbore characteristics than that envisaged by the manufacturer, and it seems only fair to say that it is a practical impossibility to build any brass instrument with gauranteed accurate intonation regardless of the player. Therefore it's not really reasonable to claim that a particular make of instrument is 'superior', unless you are measuring quantifiable characteristics such as build/finish quality or tolerances (ie valve/slide performance). Even then, a player may have good reasons for preferring a "lesser" instrument.

Sorry, that turned out a lot longer than I intended when I started ...

Got mine from Phil Parker several years ago and have never regretted it! So much easier to play than my old Imperial! Have a bit of trouble with the D's & E's at the top of the stave, they tend to be a little sharp but I either lip in or use alternative fingering. The band have an old Courtois but I found that almost as hard to get the air through as my Imperial! Think the design has been improved since that one was bought though.
  15. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

The Schilke seems to be the standard for the brass band soprano, I have played 2 very different schilke soprano cornets with Dunfermline Town. The newer of the 2 was a difficult instrument, couldnt get anything in tune, it was really wild, even in middle register, which meant vurtually every note was played using alternative valves or adjusting the slides. On the other hand, the older model was superb, much easier to play, it had a particularly sharp top space E, but was really well in tune, right up to C's and D's abobe the stave.

Basically, you must try a schilke out before you buy it, make sure that it isnt a duffer!
  16. Incognito

Incognito Member

The new Getzen is reported to be extremely good and likely to become the standard for those not able to spend the Schilke type price.
    i.e. it will take a lot of the business from Yamaha.

Of course, they have poor distribution in the UK now which does not do them any favours but the instruments are good.
  17. Incognito

Incognito Member

Small confession.

Last time I had a Getzen soprano I found it easier to transpose the parts onto a Bb cornet, so my comment above relates to the new model thats just come out, not the really old ones!
  18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

A problem that usually besets me! Thank you for your learned input into this topic, Gareth.

19. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Guys, despite the debate being, umm, interesting... I only wanna know if anyone has one for sale... we know what we are after thank you very much....
  20. Di

Di Active Member

I think what Naomi is trying to say is "lets keep this on topic guys and gals" :biggrin:;).