WANTED: European Championship CD 1990 & 1991

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by johnflugel, Jul 10, 2003.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Just wondering if anyone has copies of the above CD. It was around the time when Dr King conducted 'Dyke' to two victories with some great performances and I would love to hear them.

Does anyone have them so I can buy/borrow? I have attempted to source them through different companies without success.

John Ward
    07748 643082 or jwr@antalis.co.uk

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    WANTED
    European Championship
    King
    Dyke
    victories
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Hi John,
    I've got 1991 for sure, don't think I've 90 tho. Email me if you're not sorted!

Andy Cat, BBb Faireys (Fodens 90-93)

4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

European 1990 & 1991

John, we have some copies of 1991 but don't have 1990.
    There are 7 tracks by Black Dyke from the Gala Concert and their performance of Diversions on a Bass Theme by George Lloyd in the contest.
    Also on the CD are Britannia playing A London Overture by Philip Sparke and English Heritage by George Lloyd.

Send me an email or Private Message if you want a 1991 CD.

5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

1990 and 1991 European Championships on CD

I just saw your request on "the Mouthpiece". I have the 1991 CD but assume you will have that by now. I'm not sure that 1990 was released on CD. Keith Quinn has the cassette listed as of today; go to URLhttp://www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk and look up Keith Quinn Memorabilia. If you would prefer CD and have no other way, you may want to get the cassette from Keith and send it to me and I can digitize it and burn it onto a CD for you.

I will be in the U.K. from October 10 - 20.

John Brooks
    Cambridge, Ontario

6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Thanks John, I appreciate your help.

I contacted Keith Quinn but he only has the 2nd cassette I believe.

Many thanks for your willingess to help out

John

7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

1990 Euro

I have a copy of the 1990 European Championchips ( no inlay )
    it has
    1. Essence of Time
    2. Harmony Music
    3. Partita
    4. Dances and Arias
    5. Cloudcatcher Fells.
    Is is a recording company in Nottingham ( heavy metal I think )
    just seen this post , hope it helps John

(Edit: Duplicate post deleted, PB, Mod)

8. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I know not quite on topic, but are there any other CD's with Essence of Time on other than the European Champs 1990?

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Doyen Norway Nationals 1997 has essence of time on the recording.
    Black Dyke 1991 Essence of Time CD...Circius , London Overture , Meiso , Essence of Time...Polyphonic

10. ted

ted Member

The Essence of Time is also on Doyen's "Peter Graham" CD.

Ted

11. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Plenty;
    The Kingdom Triumphant (ISB);
    http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/22082.html

The Essence of Time (Camberwell Citadel Band);
    http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/22056.html

Peter Graham (Black Dyke Band);
    http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/21799.html

If you can get hold of it, I've heard the 1990 (ish) Dyke recording with David King described as the definitive version.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    WANTED
    European Championship
    King
    Dyke
    victories
  13. Razor

Razor Member

I could get you a copy of the 1990 Euro CD.

As somebody commented earlier it was on the label 'Heavyweight', which I think was the same label that released Freehway(Mark Freeh arrangements) and Escapade(Phil Smith solo cd) both of which involved Rigid Containers band. All 3 were released around that time(late 80's/early 90's), not sure who Heavyweight were but i've got a feeling it was somebody connected with Rigid Containers at that time.

Let me know if you want a copy? Might struggle to get it for the w/end but never say never!! :wink:

14. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I have the 1990 and 1991 European CD's now but would love to hear the Phil Smith/Rigid Containers recording.

I am up on Friday and will be catching up with Bread of Heaven no doubt, so maybe meet up then?

John

15. Razor

Razor Member

I'll see what I can do for the Escapade recording.

Off the top of my head I think the solos on it included Escapade, Facalita , His eye is on the Sparrow and Tucker.

16. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

That's great. Let's face it 'Phillip Smith plays Tune-a-day' would be good. The man is a truly great player :D

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

A copy of "Freehway" was on ebay a few weeks back, but it finished overnight, and I was outbid :twisted: :!:

18. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Phil Smith's Escapade CD was indeed recorded on Heavyweight Records (PO Box 57, Kettering, Northants, NN15 5PL) in 1989, with Rigid Containers conducted by Bram Tovey (HR001/D). I believe there was a connection between Heavy and Rigid. Richard Franklin probably knows something about it (as would Mark Freeh). I doubt the company still exists.

Playlist:
    Jerusalem (Parry)
    Tucker (Leidzen)
    La Virgen de la Macarena (Mendez)
    What a Friend (Freeh)
    Caprice (Turrin)
    Cleopatra (Damare)
    Intrada (Honnegger)
    Escapade (Turrin)
    His Eye is on the Sparrow (Bulla)
    Facilita (Hartmann)

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I was given a retail copy of the Escapade CD but have never seen one for sale! He plays Bb Cornet, Bb Piccolo, C Trumpet and Flugel on it. It says it was recorded in Holy Trinity Parish Church, Rothwell, Northamptonshire and was produced/engineered by TRYGGVI TRYGGVASON. The CD is listed as SOLO BRASS SERIES VOLUME 1. Only brief descriptions of soloist, conductor and band are written on single inner sleeve.

Oh, and the 1990 European recording from Falkirk was issued as 2 CDs if I remember correctly!