wanted: euphonium mouthpiece (cheap) to suit beginner.

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by startingsop, Aug 17, 2016.

1. startingsop

startingsop New Member

I recently bought an old euphonium that was destined for the bric-a-brac shop. It had once been a good euph but alas has seen better days. The mouthpiece that came with it looks more like a bass one and all the plating is missing. It looks pretty rank to be honest, and as I am giving this euph to someone as a present (she played for a year before running out of time to play a musical instrument) I would like to get something a bit more hygenic looking. I only paid £30 for the euph, and I don't want to end up paying more for the mouthpiece than the instrument, so does anyone have a mouthpiece something like a DW 4AL that they would be willing to part with? Condition not a problem - it's got to be better than the one I have here.

2. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Ebay may be a good bet - I bought a cheap mouthpiece (SM3.5) from there - quick search comes up with summat like the following:

Euphonium Mouth piece

3. startingsop

startingsop New Member

Thanks. Knowing nothing about euphonium mouthpieces I didn't know what would be suitable. I got some nice high notes out of the euph using my sop mouthpiece though!!

4. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Lol. Main problem with the DW 4ALs and similar is theyre more Trombone than Euph mouthpieces. That's not to say they wont do a job, but there is better out there.
    Other point to watch for is that there is potentially 2 shank sizes - as with Trombones. A large shank mouthpiece wont fit a small leadpipe and a medium shank mouthpiece will just rattle around in a large shank pipe. Best bet if you know someone that plays Euph or Trombone, get them to try their mouthpiece in your instrument

5. startingsop

startingsop New Member

That's useful to know. I will try to measure it sometime.Certainly my sop mouthpiece rattled around in the leadpipe. The one that came with it is a good fit - I will get the calipers out and measure that one.

6. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I used to own a low brass online store before my car accident. I have several mouthpieces left. I would just send a good one to you if you would like (I play euph) for ₤2 to offset some of the shipping over the pond. Just let me know at DrJAFox@gmail.com

7. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

I suggest that you measure the receiver's entry bore first (ie what the mouthpiece is to match with) and use that in combination with the measurements you take of the current mouthpiece. From what I (too) recall some Euphoniums have a shank size that's inbetween that of the two trombone sizes (supported by Euphonium/Baritone : Mouthpiece Express ). This isn't a recommendation but as a temporary measure I have heard of insulating tape being wound around a small shank Trombone mouthpiece to enable an air tight fit in a Euphonium. Reference to the Wick charts and (much larger) Bach's PDF might help towards identifying the shank needed. http://www.deniswick.com/images/stories/mouthpieces/24390 denis wick lft_hi.pdf , http://www.bachbrass.com/pdf/AV6001 Bach Mpce Manual.pdf
    I wouldn't like to suggest a cup size but, for a returner, wonder whether something slightly smaller (like a 6bm wick) than the commonly used sizes would be easier on the chops.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  8. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

You would be surprised how many PROs do that as a permanent solution. I would set my little shop up at contests and festivals and many a professor or clinician would come by and try several mouthpieces. They would take their current mouthpiece out with tape on it. They often asked me if I had some tape. I started taking cellophane tape with me to each show.

9. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

It might be useful if you can tell us the make/model and approximate age of this instrument.
    If it is an instrument which was destined for scrap it probably would not need a large shank mouthpiece as more modern instruments do.

10. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Andrew makes a good point. Even supposedly "standardized" small or large shank mouthpiece with fit less or further into a horn when they should be the same.

I think that is why some tape is frequently used. Also, if your instrument is sharp all the time, add some tape to the mouthpiece and a voila, you can add 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch to the length of the instrument at a critical point. The tape also makes the mouthpiece have an airtight seal if when the mpc was mad, the lathe was off that day.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    euphonium mouthpiece
    bric
    time
    good euph
    Condition