WANTED: Elkhart 88H or similar

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by nethers, Nov 10, 2010.

1. nethers

nethers Active Member

I'm coming back to the UK for a few weeks around April/May next year and I think it's time to trade-in my day-to-day old Conn 88H. She's a good beast, but needs a bit of work to bring it back to prime condition, and it seems like a good time to upgrade.

My old 2nd bone at band picked up a stunning pre-71 Elkhart from an American dealer, and it is truly magnificent. Unfortunately, I put the poison in the wrong glass so I couldn't steal it.

Finding them in NZ = hard as (I've seen one and it's a sorry looking trombone and overpriced). Chances in the UK are slightly better!

Failing that I'll have to arrange a holiday to the States.

If you can help (or offer something of similar quality) please get in touch.

Bone on!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    beast
    Elkhart 88H
    WANTED
    trombone
    2nd bone
  3. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Finding an Elkie for sale is hard anywhere.....and will cost!

oh and mine is a 1958 88H!

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Ebay is still probably your best bet. All the good ones come from the US market and most reputable dealers will ship worldwide.

You're beating me, Vegasbound. Mine's a 1970 - one of the last Elkharts.

5. nethers

nethers Active Member

I've done some research, and it will still cost less than a decent new trombone. Go figure!

My mate paid about US$5000 for his stunner, and I think that was a bargain. They do pop up on eBay from time to time, but I'm a bit wary about buying an instrument I haven't seen or played.

I know if I want to drive a Ferrari I'll have to get the wallet out :)

Cheers fellas - if either of you want to upgrade to one of those new plastic trombones, I'll be interested in taking your ancient metal ones away :p

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I'll make you really jealous - I paid about £250 for mine! Mind you it needed an amount of work to get it up to snuff. The whole bell section had to be rebuilt and the slide was a mess, however it's a beautiful trombone and I wouldn't swap for anything. Sadly, I got a knock on the slide recently so am using a modern slide at the moment :(

7. nethers

nethers Active Member

There is a guy here who has a Elkhart bell section (but a modern slide) who is selling. However, it is delaquered and scruffy (the engraving is pretty distorted and worn) and vibrates like an old diesel tractor when blowing a strong concert F#. Sounds lovely on everything else mind. I feel the NZ$2000 he wants is a little steep!

8. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I've got an Elkhart 88H in my office in London, I think it's from the late 1960s.
    I wasn't thinking of selling it but, as it's not being used, I could be persuaded to let it go.

9. nethers

nethers Active Member

Oooh, interesting! Care to send me a PM with a bit more info on the beast and what you might be hoping to make for it?

:D