Wanted EEb Bass

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by mr b, Dec 29, 2007.

1. mr b

mr b Member

EEb Bass wanted with 19" bell. Possibly 19" Imperial/Besson New Standard.

Cheers mr.b

2. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Above is a York 3 valve compensating Eb Tuba. Top of the line for brass bands if you are looking for new. http://www.militarymusician.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16612

Another place I would recommend across the pond, but does great work and always has something in his shop in Dan Schultz's place www.thevillagetinker.com

If he doesn't have one, he will probably soon have one or will find you one. He is amazing at repair tubas. He is a very good player (I used to be his MD) and has stuff that sometimes never makes it to his website.

You can check with him via email.

Jim

3. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

EEb Bass

Hi

We have a NEW EEb Tuba coming soon, visit www.heliosuk.co.uk

Further info there, save yourself some money with this one.

Chris

4. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

http://www.freewebs.com/heliosuk/Eb Tubarh.jpg

For £1800, that is a bargain. If it plays well, its a winner. 3+1 4 valvers. Nice. I personally like the 3 valve compensating tubas, but they are EXPENSIVE. Stick a great mouthpiece like a LOUD tuba mouthpiece in it and it might be a winner. But, I would play before I would buy since it is in the UK and accessible.

Dr. Jim

5. mr b

mr b Member

Thanks Chris, how soon is the delivery?

Cheers Lee

6. on_castors

on_castors Member

$5599 !!!!!!!!!!!!

That's about £2810 new!
    OK, adding on the VAT here will put it up a bit, but that's with a journey across the Atlantic to pay for too!

We get fleeced in this country :-(

7. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Sort of -- taxes are done differently everywhere -- but you cannot escape them. Even if you bought something in the EU, you would have to pay VAT. So the only real different is 2% duty.

And through treaty, post between countries is relatively inexpensive. Shipping might be $100 (£50) at most. If you use FedEx or some independent carrier, it would be $300 to $500!

In the US, we pay sales tax which is like VAT (about 6% -- different in every state). And then income tax. The more you make, the more you get hammered. Of course a great majority of Americans live in the "middle class" and pay on average about 25% of their income in income tax. Some politicians see middle class as"rich" and want to raise the income tax. Then property tax if you own your home is about 3% a year (mostly to fund schools). Petrol tax for the roads.

My goodness, when I was taken by hospital by ambulance 2 months ago, our taxes pay for the ambulance coverage. They sent me a bill. My taxes cover that supposedly.

So taxes get you no matter what you do or where you live.

8. on_castors

on_castors Member

You miss my point... taxes have NOTHING to do with it.

That US figure is (presumably) tax-free... Value Added Tax would add 17.5% VAT if it was on sale here... the UK discounted price I can find is £3,885.00 which includes that VAT, and I presume no delivery is taken into account in either case - So, if we could get it for the US price here, then with 17.5% tax added on (as it would be if it was being sold here) that would come to only £3301.75 - so the difference is it is more than 580 quid more expensive in the UK, despite the US model having made the long journey across the Atlantic - that is still over 20% more than here.

We have always been ripped off with cars in this way, and to some extent the UK pound price of electronics is the same as the US Dollar price, with VAT then added on top, but for an item made in the EC which needs 3,000 miles less transport here, yet costs 20+% more, something is sadly wrong.

Buying Instruments in Germany is usually cheaper, even though they add on about 19% VAT of their own, and I wonder if this brand is similarly profiteering in the UK, as I can't imagine the dealers in the US sell it on at no profit either!

9. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

Hi

We are expectng the first delivery in January.

Regards

Chris

10. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I get your point now. Finished instruments are subject to small duty (1% to 2%) in the US. We have some similar problems, maybe in reverse.

For example, the major three auto makers in the US (GM, Ford, Chrysler) sell cars in Canada MUCH cheaper. Why, because the Canadian Economy cannot afford the cars at American prices.

Guess what, if you live near the Canadian boarder, you can drive across the boarder (sometimes only 10 miles or so!) and not save hundreds of dollars, but thousands! My goodness this torques off the US dealers. So much so, they started to refuse to do warranty work on cars bought in Canada. But warranties are universal and a lawsuit was brought and now they MUST do the warranty work.

Prescription drugs are the same way. Canada does not recognize drug patents (US, UK and Japan do!) so everything is generic. Plus the government gives money for cheaper prescription medications. So again, if you live near the border, you drive 5 or 10 miles and you can save hundreds (plenty to pay for the petrol many times over) on medications.

People have screamed if Ford can make a profit at that price in Canada, why not the US? To no avail of course.

Instruments made in the EU sold at EU prices in the US would never sell. Some German trombone makers refuse to discount their instrument and sales in the US are non-existent). So they are greatly discounted. People in the UK get taken. I understand. You can always buy in the US, and still save a bucket of money.

Pricing is done what the market will bear. If you cannot bear it, well, there are options.

I get what you mean now - and I agree.

Jim

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    EEb Bass
    Cheers
    bell
    Imperial
    Besson New Standard
  12. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

BTW, I hope you take this as a compliment, and not a rash political statement (always a risk when making such statements).

The US and UK, after 1812, have stood shoulder to shoulder as Allies. It was the resolve of the UK RAF that won the Battle of Britain. It was the resolve of the UK and the US (and the French) that won WWI and mostly the resolve of the UK and the US that won WWII (the US and UK provided the Soviets with what they needed or they would have been squashed) with help from our friends in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

In the Falklands war, while the US did not get "directly involved" and much of our involvement is still classified, we provided AWACS and other intelligence whenever possible. The two greatest Navies in the world beat back the Japanese in WWII -- who are now a strong ally!

Our economies rebuilt others. England first, than France, Germany, and Japan plus other European countries.

A poll was taken -- 35% of Germans said they would not be for reunification if they knew how hard it would hit the German economy. Hence some German companies charge large prices. A German car in the US is outrageous - even a Volkswagen (an "every man's car").

Great prices have been paid by allies. Today, the UK is a strong supporter of the US (some don't like it there or like the war here - but that is another point).

The Western World rebuilds countries after earthquakes and tsunamis. Why? Because we can and we have a heart to do so. For our efforts, we are infidels that should die?

Anyway, I am thankful to be friends with so many people from the UK.

Jim

13. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Crikey mate, all the guy wants is an EEb bass with 19" bell!!!!!
    The measures some people go to to get a sale :wink:

14. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

You may want to think about the new Virtuosi Pro-model Eb. I know that there are now stocks available in the UK through Shawn at First Brass and there will be one on show at Butlins if you are there.

I've got one here at home right now which I am trialling so that I can write a review for it. I've used it a lot in the run-up to Christmas in practise and concerts and initial views are that I quite like it. There are certain notes that are a little out of tune but there again I've never found a tuba that you don't have to 'adjust with the lip' a couple of notes and this is no different. The review model I was given is easy to blow and the design amendments appear to have helped iron-out a couple of problems present on my Courtois. The addition of interchangeable lead-pipes (curved 'marching' or straight 'concert') along with removeable carriage rings are also a bonus.

These are just my initial thoughts and I have more tests to put the tuba through before writing a full review but if you are wanting to buy a compensating 3+1 tuba you may want to give it a try; it is only a little more than 1/2 the price of a Sovereign.

15. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

First thing I checked before posting. The York is a 19" bell!

Dr. Jim

16. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Measures -- I like it -- :clap:

17. on_castors

on_castors Member

£2500 plus delivery.... it might be somewhere near half the LIST price, but not the real price!

Compare a Sovereign, the REAL price - eg. at the first site I came to, Normans - £3774
    (or a Yamaha at £3,639 at John Packer perhaps?)

That makes the Virtuosi instrument not nearly as cheap as you imply! (& not nearly as big a bargain as some of the other instruments in the Virtuoso range either, I would suggest?)

Whilst I am a big fan of "other" makers, and it MUST keep those bigger company's minds concentrated on the subject, I can't see the Virtuosi instrument being worth anything like the same amount after about 6 months, whereas Yamaha and Besson Instruments keep their value stunningly well, and I regularly gasp in amazement to see them selling at 3000 to 3500 quid at varying ages, despite the huge discount to almost this level being available on a new one!

If I was buying with my money, and the extra was no problem, I know which I would be buying, (with a good bit of trying out first!) but that said, if I really only had the 2500, then I dare say it has every chance of being far better than a well used grotty post-lottery Sovereign which is all you would be looking at for that money!

18. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

But, the UP side to a bit larger price from the lessor known names is that they are not cutting corners. As quality comes up, so does the price normally. Yamaha used to make cheap junk 30 years ago. Now they are expensive, but not junk.

Unfortunately, low brass players suffer a bit. £2500 would buy almost any trumpet - likely two. Hence many trumpet players own a trumpet, cornet and flugel and sometimes a sop and piccolo too!

Low brass players can easily spend £5000. Hence the problem, and some creative people including reputable companies trying to make instruments a bit more affordable.

Jim

19. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

We have a used Besson Sovereign 982 at band that is surplus to requirements. Usual band wear and tear, but still a good instrument. With nearly new case. Probably asking around £1900 for it? Can get photos and details if you wish, it's lying there unused at the moment!

20. mr b

mr b Member

Thanks Andy,
    Some pics etc. would be good.
    Cheers Lee

21. mr b

mr b Member

Thats a big price increase 31/12/07 EEb Tuba £1800 & ten days later £2321 !!!!!:eek:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    EEb Bass
    Cheers
    bell
    Imperial
    Besson New Standard