Wanted - eb tuba 4 Valve

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Jools123, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Jools123

Jools123 New Member

Hi

About 3 months ago I started playing a tuba. I have loved it but the 4th valve on the one I borrowed isn't great.

decided to try and buy one and can only afford £2k max. Does anyone have one they want to sell or advice on whether to go for a new starter model or a used more expensive brand model.

any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    expensive brand
    HiAbout
    Wanted - eb tuba
    Does
    months
  3. Hi,
    First of all you need to have someone with you who knows about brass instruments when you try them out. Speaking from experience, I have always bought new however, this doesn't mean to say that you can't pick up a good second hand bargain. Always go for a recognised make as in the long run, non descript brands result in false economy. Finally, if I were in your position I would see about getting the 4th valve fixed whilst practising like mad and add to my 2K so that when I made the grade as a player I could afford a really good tuba. Good Luck and remember plenty of practice daily!

4. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

5. B.Portas

B.Portas Member

Speaking as a new tuba player (2 months) who wanted to buy a 4 valve tuba (my band only have 2 ancient 3 valves, that I just didn't get on with), I bought a 1920s Boosey and Co Imperial for £500 with a new Wick mouthpiece and free delivery.

If you are certain that you want one, either bite the bullet as I did, and go for an older Boosey and Hawkes (they crop up all the time on ebay ranging from about £500 to £1000) or wait a while longer, see if you like playing or start to develop a better relationship with your bands bass, and drop a little more on a Sovereign. That said, I hear Wessex make great Ebs and you can get a new one for the price of a second hand Besson Sov. If you can, try a few out.

If all else fails, go to www.cash4brass.co.uk and message Jenny to see what she has. Always great advice and she will help you make a worthy purchase if you don't mind going used.

If you have £2k to drop, make sure it's worth it, and that you'll stay on the instrument though.