WANTED - Eb Bass - B & H Imperial w/ 19inch bell or a nice early Sovereign

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by JonnyShaw, Jul 18, 2008.

1. JonnyShaw

JonnyShaw Member

Hi guys

My parents bought me a nice looking Sov when i was younger and its done me really well, however now I am at the Conservatoire and much more mature as a musician I have started to realise that mine is one of the dreaded 'bad batch' with bad intonation and to say the least its as flat as a pancake!

I am looking for a nice instrument to take me through uni and into my playing career.

I would like to find a Eb B & H Imperial w/ a 19inch bell, these were made sort of as the transition into the modern Sovereign and for me play absolutely brilliantly!

Other than that a nice early sovereign would be what im looking for B&H (ie. round stamp) or Besson.

On a very long shot I have heard that Willson made some very nice 3+1 compensation Eb's along time ago, quite similar to sovereigns.

Ino its abit of a mamouth post but I would be very grateful if anyone could give me a hand, point me in the right direction or had any information that could help me.

Ps. I think I have around £2,500 to spend, pending the sales of my bass trombones.
  2. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Contact Mark Carter, otherwise known as Mr Tuba.
    He's based in Cwmbran, South Wales but don't let the distance from you put you off.

I played his own 19" bell Imperial (satin silver plate) some years ago. He'd put a straight leadpipe on it and it was superb. He also did the same thing to a lacquer version built in 1980 which I had a blow on a few months back. Once again, superb result.

I wish I'd kept my own lacquered 19" bell Imperial and had it given the Mr Tuba treatment!
    I sold it before I knew about Mark and his expertise.
  3. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

What are you selling?
  4. JonnyShaw

JonnyShaw Member

Cheers for the advice, you dont have any idea on his price do you???

Bach Strad 50BO. 10 1/2 inch bell, lacquer with original wooden case (slight bell damage, valve overhaul needed)

Rath R9. 9 1/2 inch detachable rose bell, Rose slide, wooden thumb rest for F trigger (slight bell damage, spike at bottom of slide has come off however do have it still)

the £2,500 isn't a reflection of how much i hope to get for them combined, just a conservative estimate of how much i will have left to play with.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  5. JonnyShaw

JonnyShaw Member

Cheers for the advice I am now speaking to Mark about either modifing my own instrument of fitting me with a different one.

On the Bass Trom front I have been trying to get valuations from Mick Rath but alas no response to my email yet, now I'm back in the country and back working I shall get on the blower and see if I can find out some prices.
  6. tuboid

tuboid New Member

sovereign tuba

I have some very good 981, and 982 sovereign tubas made in the 1980s. Please contact me if you are interested, they all play with the propper B&H-Besson sound!
    Be carefull about modifying your tuba, as you can not make a silk purse out of a sows ear! I have tried it. Very best wishes