Wanted: Denis Wick Sop 'SL' mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by bathsop, Jan 3, 2011.

1. bathsop

bathsop New Member

Hi all

I bought a denis wick SL sop mouthpiece 24 years ago and find it's the best for me, trouble it's now showing it's age and needs replating. Denis Wick changed suppliers at the end of the 80's so newer 'S' mouthpieces aren't the same!

Has anyone out there got an old Denis Wick SL Sop cornet mouthpiece in their case not being used? If so get in touch if you'd be interested in selling.

Thanks, mark

2. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Not a Wick lover but why dont you get it replated?
    Theres a company called GOLDCHOPS that have done some of mine in the past.
    Hope that helps.

3. bathsop

bathsop New Member

Thought about this option, but don't want to risk losing it in the post without a spare, also it's not been plated for the last 10 years so will probably feel totally different when i get it back (and i may not like it:))

The Wick isn't the best above top A but it 'feels' good and has a good tone. If i could find something with a good tone, similar feel and good above A i'd jump at it! Tried Bach 17c (too small), and a Shilke 14A4 (hurt my lip) to no avail. Reverted back to the trusted SL to get my playing back to normal.

Thanks for the tip on plating company!

Mark

4. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

But getting another won't help either..... i have 2 wick 2fl flugel mouthpieces and they're completely different! The older you go the less consistent their sizes are. And replating if done properly only involves microns of plate so shouldn't bulk it up noticably.... I just watched my other half's get done the other week and it feels no different except its shiny and smooth. If you want I know a guy who does them really reasonably. Send it by courier and it'll still be cheaper than buying another one.

5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

not a fan of 'superstar' mouthpieces - if you don't have 'star' lip/embouchure will they really help.

I am in the process of setting up an evening with a band/section/trusted advisor to assist with instrument/mp selection.

and if you know me, environmental heath do NOT know where i lve