Wanted - Denis Wick SM5 euphonium mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by LittleEuph, Mar 29, 2013.

1. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

I'm looking for a Denis Wick SM5 euphonium mouthpiece- if you have one you might want to sell please PM me.

2. dhanimiller

dhanimiller Member

I wonder why that might be! ;)

a 5's a bit of a peashooter though to be fair!

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Tell that to Emma Farrow...

4. simonium

simonium Member

A fine player. My second euph plays on a 5 and has a great sound. I've moved backwards from a 3 to 3.5 and now arrived at a 4AL which is where I started before the faffing around experimenting. After the Ultras, Alliances, Bachs etc I've cultured (possibly too strong a word) a fuller, more projecting sound on smaller mouthpiece stuck in the end of a medium bore euph.... Maybe they got it right 30 years ago!

5. dhanimiller

dhanimiller Member

I do actually agree whole-heartedly, my previous post was a bit tongue-in-cheek! A lot of players go by the 'bigger is better' book, and it really isn't always the case! Jens Lindemann did a little masterclass and hit the nail on the head, use whatever makes your job the easiest without sacrificing tone and production.

After hearing a very well-known solo prize winning euph player messing around on an SM5 on a Maestro Euph, I don't think I've heard much better tone!

Small doesn't work for me on Cornet unfortunately as I have big sausage lips so I have to use what is equivalent to a Wick 2 (on top man)!

6. simonium

simonium Member

I would suggest that Little Euph give Jenny at Cash4brass a call or email. She manages to get hold of all kinds of euph / tuba based goodies - I got a perfect condition 4AL for £30.

7. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

If you can find one I'd have a look at a JK mouthpiece. I have a JK5 and find it very easy to play above the stave but still get a decent sound below the stave and comfortable to use (it feels like playing on a wick 4).

8. Rob

Rob Member

Or get a mouthpiece converter thingy and play with a 6 baritone mouthpiece - came in handy for Harmony Music! :)

9. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

Thanks Simon, I will drop Jenny a line.

10. Brass Warehouse

Brass Warehouse New Member

Hi, If you havnt found one, we can supply a new one drop me a message if you want.

Check out some of our stock at www.brasswarehouse.co.uk

Simon

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    SM5
    Denis Wick
    Wanted - Denis Wick SM5 euphonium mouthpiece
    PM
    cool
  12. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

Thanks all for your help. I have managed to source a second hand SM5 in top condition from Jenny at Cash4Brass- thanks Simonium for the referral.