Wanted - Conn 16E mellophonium

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by westoe_horn, Sep 14, 2017.

1. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

This is an incredible longshot but.......

For a number of years I've been hunting for a Conn 16E mellophonium. These are the unique horns that Stan Kenton used in his band in the 1960s and I've decided to step up my search for one so that I can do some non brass band playing. Ideally a complete example is wanted, i.e. including both F and Eb crooks.

If anyone has one of these beasts, or knows of the potential availability of one, please let me know. I understand they are fairly rare but they do still seem to crop up at time to time.

Anyway, any help, or possible leads to follow up, would be greatly appreciated. If so, however tenuous, please drop me a PM.

Cheers!

2. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

I got mine on ebay a few years ago - keep an eye out as they crop up from time to time.
    Great horns.

3. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

Thanks Andrew, I will do. I've been looking on and off for a few years but have never managed yet. I've always been a huge fan of Stan Kenton's stuff in the mellophonium phase, hence wanting to track one down!

4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I'd no idea that these things existed so thanks for opening my horizons to something new. They seem a bit like an unwound French Horn to me, aren't they available in F with an Eb crook too?

Trent Hamilton gives an interesting demonstration on YouTube, see:

If I wanted one of these then I'd wouldn't expect to have much luck finding one in the UK but the USA might produce one in time: they were likely made for that market, they were probably made in the USA and it's got a large population who do make music. The cost of shipping and VAT when importing from the States is painful, but if you and/or friends/relatives visit the USA then perhaps that cost could be eased if the instrument came back to the UK with you/them?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  5. Andrew Norman

Shipping from the USA is cheaper than sending the other way. I've importedt several instruments including my Conn 16E.

6. Andrew Norman

I have a friend with one that he never uses - not sure if he's interested in selling and I don't think it has the F crook.

7. Landy

Landy New Member

I was looking a 16E for ages, finally managed to get a Corton version. Great for messing around on, but doesn't get a lot of use so may consider selling if the price is right. Only got the Eb slide. I can get pictures but there's a picture of one on horn-u-copia: Instrument Specifications where instrument="Mellophone" and maker="Corton"

let me know if you're interested.

8. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

A friend of mine wants to send you some info Ref the Mellophone
    Email me if you want the info

9. 2nd tenor

By chance I spotted this and wonder if it might suit.

conn mellophone #n44582 | eBay

I suspect that mellophones and mellowphoniums are grouped as one on eBay.

10. Andrew Norman

Looks like a High School Band are selling off their instruments... Garb a bargain !

11. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

Thanks, what a good spot! Obviously a fire sale of band instruments by a US high school!

12. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

Thanks that's fascinating! There are some great tales kicking around about Stan Kenton's trials and tribulations with the 16Es. If you are interested, see here as an example:
    The Stan Kenton Mellophoniums

In the UK it was of course the legendary Mr Higginbottom who pionered it's use with the JSVB from the '70s onwards. Incomparable playing and trailblazing as ever!

13. 2nd tenor

Mr H is a member here, he's a real gent and as it happens I was listening to some of his playing on YouTube last night, fantastic stuff.

JSVB, James Shepperd Versatile Brass, see the section about a minute and a half in: .

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  14. Andrew Norman

It was Roy Castle who I first saw playing one...

15. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

Still on the hunt for that elusive Conn mellophonium! I'll explore any potential leads so drop me a message if you have one lurking in the loft or at the back of a cupboard!! :)