Wanted: cheap Eb Flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by flugelbeth, Sep 11, 2012.

1. flugelbeth

flugelbeth New Member

Hi, I am looking for a cheap Eb flugelhorn to experiment with, preferably in the northwest? Can't seem to find them anywhere!
  2. Cornet Luke

Cornet Luke Member

As in a flugelhorn pitched in Eb above the cornets Bb? (Sopranino Flugel)
    Or a flugelhorn in Eb at the pitch of a tenor horn?
  3. flugelbeth

flugelbeth New Member

As in the high one, sorry should have put that! :) I'm learning Mahler 3 and think it would work well! Plus it would make the ppp top B much easier!
  4. Cornet Luke

Cornet Luke Member

Ahh - they're really rare nowadays, I saw an old one go on eBay a few months back for £200 - that's the cheapest I've seen...
    Hope you can find one soon :)
  5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I have played a few of these and I would strongly suggest playing before you buy if you are looking for an instrument that will actually play well rather than just look pretty.
    I have played ONE that worked, made by Andy Taylor (as a custom job, it is not one of his standard models), the rest have varied between bad and truly terrible.
  6. Landy

Landy New Member

trumpetmike - the only Eb Flugel from Andy I've seen pictures of is pitched below a cornet - really more of a forward facing tenor horn. Has he also done a Sopranino?

I was looking for one a while ago, just as a fun instrument, when I was playing Sop. Any I found in the UK or USA were really very expensive. I ended up getting one from Italy via the Italian e-bay site www.ebay.it (it didn't appear on UK e-bay). In Italian they're Flicorno in Mib ro Sopranino (rather than Eb). I can't see any on there at the moment though, but they're more common in Europe.

Mine's really nice, it's made by Romeo Orsi, and even has a 3rd valve trigger. I've never played it out though, but one day I'll pluck up the courage to suggest our band does Piu Jesu on Eb and Bb flugels :)
  7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

It was for a US client and he had taken it to a conference for collection - I got there before the owner did so managed to get a good playtest.
    If I had the money I would very happily get him to make me one.
  8. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Why oh Why oh Why????? A sop is bad enough, why squeak away on a flugel (and Btw I'm a Flugeler and Trumpeter who has also has a d/e-flat trumpet so I get what you're taking about, even though it says I'm tenor horn player). Seems like a ridiculously frivolous waste of money.....unless you're an aspiring jazzer? Spending all that money for one piece by one composer? It won't make life easier enough to even slightly justify the expenditure, if at all. Give it to charity or spend the money on something nice that you'll actually get some use out of.