Wanted: Boosey and Hawkes Sovereign Euphonium

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by brassfanatic, Jul 14, 2009.

1. brassfanatic

brassfanatic Member

I looking to buy a silver plate Boosey and Hawkes Sovereign Euphonium (you know the large bore one with the round Boosey Globe stamp?)

Be willing to pay a fair price.

I'm a student and I currently play on a Besson Sovereign medium bore, I find I just can't get the projection I want with it.

Didn't some of the finest players speak of playing on these models with a Wick 4Al back in the day? Of course, the modern equivalent is the Prestige Euph with a Steven Mead 4.

Is it true to say that these were some of the finest instruments ever made - from the orginal Edgeware factory?

Hopefully someone out there has one lying in the attic, no longer used, which they wish to get rid of!!!
    I'd be willing to get some work done on it if necessary.

2. Despot

Despot Member

You're playing a 968 - the medium bore model? The model you're looking for is a 967. Still being made.

Don't be too hung up on a globe model, unless you know what you're after.
  3. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Digressing slightly, but I've used a medium bore for years both orchestrally and in a top section band. I know you're looking to change, but don't write off the medium bore euph.

Being really pedantic, the bore is actually the same, it's just the bell size and taper that's different.
  5. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

the medium bore ones just don't allow for enough projection...the bigger the bell the better I've found...and so have most professional euph players.

I have a 967, but although I've been tempted to sell it in the past (it rarely comes out of its case), it would be like selling a baby! lol! You can get them though...sometimes you see one on ebay...worth a look.
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Like me ;)