Wanted - Bass Trombone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sop_Or_Bass?, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

I am after a good bass trombone for my son. What do you recommend?
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Sop_Or_Bass? and stevetrom like this.
  3. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

If you have a limited budget you might want to look at a Weril, decent for <£1000
  4. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

I will - thank you. Otherwise thinking of a Berkeley Professional or a Wessex, as £1000 is about my limit at the moment
  5. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Wouldn't touch anything you (or rather, Matt) can't play first - is second-hand an option?

Not heard of Wessex, but if it's the same Berkeley that does trumpets I've not heard much good of them..
    Sop_Or_Bass? likes this.
  6. Daz

Daz New Member

£1000 is a lot of anyone's money but I think you're as well spending on a well maintained decent used model rather than entry level new one which is all £1000 will get you these days. Your son will be able to grow into the instrument and have something to last years rather than someting he will become dissatisfied with all too quickly. I've not played for 6 months or so but the first website I've just checked for second hand was Michael Rath who has a Holton TR181 slightly above your budget at £1250 but having owned and played three or four of these over the years would much rather be given one of these than a Berkeley or Wessex. There are many other quality used horns out there and they'll also command a much better resale value long term if he decides to trade up in years to come. The key is as with anything take your son along and let him blow and have a good listen. These things aren't a one size fits all and two horns of the same model can sound very different even in the same hands.
    Sop_Or_Bass? likes this.
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Another vote here for used quality rather than new and shiny average ...
    Sop_Or_Bass? likes this.
  8. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Thanks for your advice. Will definitely go down the good, used instrument line
  9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The Wessex model that is based on the King 7B is actually rather good. And they usually have a few development prototypes about, depending on their recent design interests. Get over to their showroom in Andover, and try what they have in. There are people with input into the design there who really know their stuff - Chip has a ton of knowledge about e.g. Holton bones from over the years; indeed, as I recall he did design work for them back in the day.

The time is not far off when people are going to have to stop writing instruments off just because they're made in China...
    stevetrom likes this.
  10. trombo

trombo Member

pm sent