Wanted: Bass trombone

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by geo123, Dec 26, 2007.

1. geo123

geo123 New Member

Hi, i am looking to purchase a bass trom, any makes considered, and I would prefer independant valves.
    It would have to be second hand as I only have a budget of about £700-£800

I am currently playing an old yamaha ybl321 but i would like a double valve bass.
    Apart from the yamaha I have only played a courtios, which i found very difficult to hold, although the slide was very good and it produced a nice sound.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass
    Bass trombone
    double valve bass
    old yamaha ybl321
    independant valves
  3. SteveT

SteveT Member

This is a very, very subjective, and perhaps genaralisation AT SPEED!

1. Yamaha - Easy blowing and comfortable... you may struggle to cut thru if you have a very good and big sounding band around you!

2. Bach - Blows like a galvanised bucket! It barks back at you!

3. Besson - A good trombone, but unfashionable!

4. Conn - Reliable and always a good bet. BUT! It is design for symphonic work!

5. Courtois - Yuk!

6. Rath / Edwards - Brilliant, but probably outside your price limitations.

7. Holton - One of the best intruments I have ever owned. So well made. A nightmare to fill and difficult to hold!

8. King - You can't get a decent one these days. I have a 32 year old one... which is fantastic!

Others - Many new makes, but I can't really comment!

General - Stick to a 9 1/2 " bell. Easier to get the right sound and you can cut through better!

Use a Bach Mouthpiece.

4. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Agree with your comments as above Stephen. I use a Holton and they are quite cumbersome beasts which use a lot of breath! However, out of the options available I would say a Holton would be the best bet if you can find one for £800.

5. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

Agree that the Holton is a great weapon, and there are loads around so should be able to find a second hand one from somewhere for a decent price. As already mentioned its such an individual thing that you may find something that suits that is nothing like anything you see on here.

Probably best to pop along to a local shop and have a toot on a few to see how they are comfort/sound wise, as they can be so different.

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Whatever you choose, you are right to say that funds limit your choice somewhat. Perhaps you could be a bit sneaky and try a few out in a good shop, then shop around for a cheaper version of the one you like. Ebay is a very good source of good instruments - but not the UK site, the American site usually has around 600+ trombones on (a few less around Christmas time). You have to be quite ebay-savvy, though! I've bought and sold a lot of good instruments on ebay, so if you are not sure, PM me when you've had a look. You could try Moomindave as well.

You mention you find a 2-valve trombone difficult to hold. That's fairly normal when you've been on a single valve trombone. Stick with it!

7. geo123

geo123 New Member

Thanks for all the information, but I am still unsure on where I could get one from, or where I could possibly go to try out a few different makes of trombone, to see which I prefer. I have looked on various websites, and have found nowhere in the UK where I could do this.

8. trombo

trombo Member

Bass Trombone's

Hi
    There is a guy on the website basstrombone.nl who is selling a Conn 73h for around £695.00, instrument in Leicester/London .It has a dual bore Edwards slide-547-562. Yellow brass bell of 9.5 inches. He tried to sell this on ebay without luck.He is keen to sell because of an impending tax bill.

Take a look at this worth buying as you could always sell for a similar amount.

trombo-Steve Ford
    Bass Trombone YWO/LDO/Bones North

9. andybt1984

andybt1984 Member

I have a Courtois 500 for sale but its a bit over your budget I'm afraid as its an excellent trombone.

10. geo123

geo123 New Member

Thanks for the info regarding the conn 73h. Might consider buying, but was wondering what it would be like with the edwards slide. Says on the edwards website that the .547/.562 is a tenor slide. Would it still have the bass sound, or would it sound more like a tenor? I do not really know anything about the dual bore slides, but if it does not make the trombone sound any different than it would have been with the original slide, I could well make the purchase. Thanks again for all your help.

11. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass
    Bass trombone
    double valve bass
    old yamaha ybl321
    independant valves
  13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

No, it's way too small. Go for a proper trombone which hasn't been tampered with. There's a reason it's for sale! A bit like my old Renault, I feel sorry for the poor **** who bought it :(

14. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

OK, my 2 pence worth.

Bass trombones in any kind of shape rarely come on the used market. The are a rare commodity and even used ones draw close to new prices. It amazes me at times.

If you can find a band selling off some old stuff, perhaps you can get lucky.

Now, I sell one bass trombone I recommend. I can get others, but I am a bone player and I have played this one and was VERY impressed. The price is so reasonable that I feel that people get their money's worth.

Sure a Rath, Edwards, Shires or Greenhoe -- and to a lessor extent a new Conn or Kanstul bass trombone would be great. But your wallet had better be HUGE.

I sell Weril. ISO9001:2000 quality certified. And the bone plays very well.

Now Weril is known for doing any finish in ANY color or colors. Here is a picture from a trade show:

[​IMG]

Now if you like Purple with real Gold trim :cool:

But they do that for shows to grab attention. Here is a more reasonable picture:

[​IMG]

The price is $2383
    See: http://www.militarymusician.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16484

Of course the British Pound and the Euro are trading strong against the US dollar. Right now, even paying about $100 shipping and 20% duty and VAT it is still a bargain.

That is still over your budget so I even hesitated to post it. But used ones are hard to find and this is a GREAT bone at a reasonable price if your budget comes up a bit.

Dr. Jim

15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Steve Sizeland of Brackley band (currently on tuba there) has a Weril (with a 10.5" bell - is that standard?). I tried it once, and found it pretty tubby-sounding - in fact, very reminiscent of the Bach 50BL that I used to play years back. But for that price, that's not a problem at all... Nothing that a little work on airflow won't sort out...

16. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Just so you know, it comes with either 9.5 or 10.5 bell, and three different bell (rose brass, yellow brass, and yellow plated with silver). It also comes with interchangeable leadpipes to help adjust the sound.

It has a few options to play with.

Jim

17. MoominDave

Is it intended to be a Bach-alike, or was that just coincidence?

18. Bones

Bones Member

I have a Besson Sovereign double independant hagmann valve trombone for sale in Silver plate. In VGC. And it is within your budget range. PM me for further details.

Cheers

Rich

19. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

you could also put a note on the BTS web site.....

20. MoominDave

21. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Post removed. Wrong answer in wrong thread.

22. JonnyShaw

JonnyShaw Member

I have a Bach Strad 50BO3 that I am looking to get rid of if you can stretch your price up to £1000.

10 1/2 inch bell
    wooden case
    needs the valve linkages tightening up but i wouldn't think that would be very expensive.