Wanted - Alto Trombone and Valve Trombone

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Ipswich trom, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

If anyone has or knows of any Alto and Valve Trombones of a fairly reasonable quality, please could you let me know. Don't worry Mr. Conductor (if you are lurking on here), I'm not giving up the Tenor, then again you might wish I were!! :biggrin:

2. Bungle

Bungle Member

There is Weril one on Sharron Mccallums web site. I have no idea how good a Weril is, but the quality of the instrument will be good.

3. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Thanks Bungle, checking it out right now!!

4. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

ask Bones, think he might be selling a decent alto;)

5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

If you are after a good alto, I recommend you steer clear of the big Americans. They tend to be made for the 'occasional' alto trombone player, but don't really have the right sound. Don't get me wrong, they are very good instruments (I have an Edwards alto) but are too big and stodgy for the classical/baroque stuff. I was chatting to a collegue the other day who was looking to buy a better Alto. She eventually decided on a German make, as they keep the same dimensions as a tenor instead of compromise. If you are really rich, Latzch or Thien are probably the best (£2000+), but Miraphone is a good budget choice.

As for valve trombones, there's a reason why they are not used anymore! Don't bother, buy a baritone instead, it'll sound more like a trombone than a valve trombone does.

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The Weril (it's Brazilian, by the way) is not a bad Alto at all. A bit tubby, but then that's what most people seem to like - I personally prefer a brighter sound from my Alto.

John Packer sell
    i) Their own brand Alto, cheap and somewhat cheerful, made in China, about £200
    ii) B&S Alto (as mine), cheapish, nice to blow, one or two duff notes, but nothing seriously amiss, about £550

For £1000, you could get something really rather nice. eBay can be surprisingly good.

Valve Trombone - why?! Buy a Bass Trumpet, a much finer instrument that people might occasionally ask you to play. Unless you're going to buy a section of two valved Bb Tenors and a valved F Bass for historically informed performances of 19th century Bohemian composers.

7. Bass Trumpet

Yep, forgot about the B&S. Quite a nice piece of kit. Right size right shape and not too expensive.

By Bass trumpet, I'll assume you mean an Alexander 4 valve in C? Those God-awful Bb piston valve things are abhorrent. Nobody uses them in the profession apart from Jazzers who are too embarrassed to use a valve trombone! The Alex retails at about £3500. Thein also make one for about £4000. If you buy one in the UK, be prepared to wait 9-12 months for delivery!

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Or you could buy an abhorrent Bb 3-piston-valve instrument on German eBay for £250. Or an abhorrent 3-rotary-valve Lidl for £210, as my girlfriend did.
    Someday when they start paying scientists real world money one of us will get us an Alex. Should anyone more prestigious than have so far asked and been satisfied with my abhorrence contact me to ask me to play BassTrompete, I'll be in touch with a fair offer of a borrowing fee... As it is, some of the best on the London amateur scene seem to find it not intolerable. I appreciate the world of difference between that and the Pro scene though!

9. Bass Trumpet

Evidently

10. Bones

Bones Member

HI,

I have a student/intermediate one for sale Amati. Not too bad, well put together. Reason for sale. Fed up of it languishing dust under my office desk.

I'll chuck in a reasonable Bach mouthpiece as well.

Cheers

Rich

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Trombone
    Valve Trombone
    anyone
    Alto
    quality
  12. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Thanks for all the advice Guys. At the moment I play Orchestral stuff on my Tenor but recently did a job with Tony Parsons playing Mozart and he suggested that I try and get an Alto. The Valve trombone is purely out of intrigue really.