Wanted - Alliance 3a mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Smithy, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Smithy

Smithy New Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody had a alliance 3 or 3a mouthpiece for sale? I currently play on a RW4 and am looking for a slightly better higher register, preferably on a 3a.

Cheers, Jamie.
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Doesn't it go the other way? 5 smaller than the 4, so easier higher register?
  3. Smithy

Smithy New Member

I'm wanting the same rim but a shallower cup, which is why a 3a would be perfect.
  4. I have an alliance 3 and a 3a for sale if your still interested. Just drop me a pm for more details.
  5. JonBond

JonBond Member

The RW4 is fine for higher register. Just practice more to improve your higher register and avoid the thin sound you invariably get from changing the mouthpiece to make upper register easier.
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I infer from the asker's signature that he is probably aware of the pros and cons of mouthpiece selection. Or at least has his playing in easily a good enough place to experiment.
  7. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

A bit of advice from a BBb bass player will be much appreciated I am sure.
  8. JonBond

JonBond Member

As a cornet player covering Bass cos I'm muggins, I have tried my fair share of mouthpieces on cornet. My main concern from mouthpiece is the sound you produce. Now selecting a mouthpiece based on ease of playing upper register is, IMHO, incorrect. You should select the mouthpiece which gives you the right sound, and work at it to improve your upper register.

The nasty thin sound of the many Vincent Bach cornet MPs used in brass bands is drastically changing the tonal qualities of the brass band, as they are designed for trumpets and give a trumpet tonal quality. I know many players who pick a VB due to the ease of playing in the upper register and therfore, at best, stick out like a sore thumb in the band, or at worse change the entire nature if the band's sound.

The wick is specifically developed for the brass banding community. Now there are nasty sounding wicks (ie anything with a B after it - oversimplification, but hey).

A true, die-hard Brass Bando!
  9. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

I agree with Dave, The OP probably knows the pros and cons of different mouthpieces. Mouthpiece choice always involves compromises between sound, stamina and range and the Alliance 3a is only slightly shallower than the RW 4.