wanted - 32" pedal timp

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by sopranoplayer, Mar 22, 2010.

1. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

We are looking to purchase a 32" pedal timp, preferably a premier copper one.

Anyone help me in our search :D
  2. fartycat

fartycat Member

Second hand or new? They don't come up too often second hand (particularly just one).

If you're after a new drum then it is probably best to get quotes from Bell Percussion, E-ventz Percussion and Jam Percussion. What timps have you got at the moment (make and model).
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  3. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

We have 2 smaller premier copper pedal ones so really want one to match them.

Either second hand or new, preferably 2nd hand though.
  4. fartycat

fartycat Member

A couple of questions:

What size are your two timps? Normally a pair would be 28" and 26" so to get a third timp you might want to think about a 30" instead of a 32". Hey they're cheaper but also easier to get through doors and can get most of the low notes you'll need - a lot of players use a 32" for really low notes like E, Eb, D and Db and keep everything else on a 30". If you do decide to go with a 32" though - check the size of your bandroom doors to make sure you can get it inside! May seem silly but even Salisbury Cathedral's doors struggle with a 32" (you have to put the drum on its side and slide it in!). 32" is the size of the bowl - with the stuts the drum is actually a few inches larger!

Also, it would be handy to find out exactly what model your current timps are so that you can match almost exactly (there will be slight design changes with the newer drums). Take a look at the Premier website: http://www.premier-percussion.com/catalogue.asp?id=104

Have your drums got a brown crown type disk at the bottom underneath the copper bowl? If no then your drums are the Concert series. If yes, then take a look at the skin/rim area - is there a large gap between the rim and the copper bowl? If yes then you have Premier Elites. If no then you have Pro Symphonics. Alternatively, send me a closeup pic and I'll identify them for you.

As I said above, single pedal timps (particularly the larger drums) rarely come up second hand. Might be worth asking the retailers I mention above for any second hand drums.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  5. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

Thanks for that....

I will take a look tonight
  6. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

Yes, our timps have the crown type disc with 8 sticky up prongs (forgive the description :) . There is a gap between the rim and the bowl underneath but not sure if it warrants "large" but I can fit my fingers in the gap.

And I believe they are 26" and 28"

Good points about the size, 30" is now an option
  7. fartycat

fartycat Member

So that sounds like you have either Elites (the top of the range drums) or Symphonic Pro's (middle of the range).

Elites will have at least an inch gap all the way round between the rim and the bowl, Symphonics will have the rim and bowl much closer together.