Want to play better? Drink Beetroot juice!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by toby hobson, May 25, 2012.

1. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

It's amazing what fascinating facts you can glean from the radio when up at 6am feeding your baby!! But apparently Beetroot juice as well as being the latest easily obtainable panacea, is particularly good at increasing oxygen capacity in the body. Free divers have been tested with a placebo and the real stuff and were discovered to be 11% better. So logic would have to say the potential benifits for Brass Players is well.......interesting if nothing else!!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...ce-helps-you-hold-breath-longer-16163649.html

Having said that.....having witnessed the occasional thick atmosphere in the band room ( I sat next to Dean Morley for a number of wonderful but fairly pungent years!!) the implications for carbon monoxide poisoning in a 2 hour rehearsal are somewhat frightening!!!

2. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Reading it it's looking as though it just helps you to hold your breath as it affects the chemical reactions inside the body meaning the muscles need less oxygen (that's vague but I've just come out of a Physics exam!) whereas as far as I'm aware, although I'm not an expert, brass players take air in, then we push it back out, simply speaking. So unless it increases your lung capacity I don't see how it could help brass players that much, as you can't push out more air than you took in.... can you? I suppose it could possibly help quiet playing because I've noticed playing quietly for a long time without breathing feels like your holding your breath and can't go for much longer, even if you havn't run out of air.

3. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

I've read the actual paper and the research was into carefully controlled periods of breath holding with no respiratory effort. This would be of benefit to free divers where not breathing for extended periods is important. However in playing a brass instrument we are more concerned with controlling breath release and training our diaphragm and intercostal muscles is of more importance.

Rather than holding breath, I would really love to learn how to circular breathe.

Pete Scott

4. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Yes I guess that makes sense. Presumably it's no bad thing if we can generally do more with our breath, but I see what you meen about the actual findings of the research. Circular breathing......not that hard to do at its basic level if you can squeeze water out of your mouth in the bath with out blowing.

5. pbirch

pbirch Member

instead of beer? thats a great idea :)

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member