Wansbeck Results

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by michellegarbutt, Nov 29, 2004.

1. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Or at least as many of them as I can remember

Section c
    1. Murton Colliery
    2. Carlisle St. Stephens
    3. Ferryhill Town
    4. Five Rivers
    Best Soloist Murton Colliery

Section B
    1. Langbaugh
    3. Easington
    Best Soloist

Section A
    1. Horden Colliery
    2. Chester-le-Street Riverside Brass
    3. Gateshead Brass
    Best Soloist Horden Colliery

Sorry I just can't remember which band got 2nd in section B. I know the winning soloist in that section was a soprano but I don't know which band. I think it may be the band that got 2nd. So sorry.

One interesting thing to notice in all 3 sections the band that played number 1 won.

If anyone can fill the gaps in I'd be grateful

2. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Well done all!

Was at home at the weekend but was torn between a Roast Beef sunday dinner or the Wansbeck.

Alas, being a poor impoverished starving student, the Roast Beef won!! :shock: :p

3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

The best soloist was the sop player from Greggs Bakery band if I remember rightly....

4. bass bone tim

bass bone tim New Member

Section B band that finished 2nd were Greggs Bakery. Solo prize went to their sop - Richard Martin (no surprise there then!) Is anyone suspicious about the home town result? I believe Alan Morrison was born and brought up in Langbaurgh (dunno how to spell that -is it right?) Or that he plays a concert with Greggs every year? Not trying to cause a stir, I was just curious, thats all!

Still, gutted with 3rd. I thought we could have done better than that. Opening piece rocked though, but we got better after that. Still - we played Caravan and Demelza that section A bands played, and Armenian Fire Dance that Brighouse recorded! Roll on next year!

5. boneman0970

boneman0970 Member

Hi there Miss Boyle,
    If I rememeber rightly,I think you caused a bit of a stir at the 'Raffle'....
    Where was that winning ticket at???
    Our was it the fact we were'Asking Mr Morrison how the Boro got on that day'???

6. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Five Rivers Brass won the prize for best unplaced 4th section band. Not bad considering the band has just changed conductors in the last couple of weeks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  7. Ankanala

Ankanala Member

Section B band that finished 2nd were Greggs Bakery. Solo prize went to their sop - Richard Martin (no surprise there then!) Is anyone suspicious about the home town result? I believe Alan Morrison was born and brought up in Langbaurgh (dunno how to spell that -is it right?) Or that he plays a concert with Greggs every year? Not trying to cause a stir, I was just curious, thats all!

Still, gutted with 3rd. I thought we could have done better than that. Opening piece rocked though, but we got better after that. Still - we played Caravan and Demelza that section A bands played, and Armenian Fire Dance that Brighouse recorded! Roll on next year!

Un Quote

Before you start making insinuations and accusations about my integrity, I suggest you get your facts right first!

1) I was born and bred in Acklam, Middlesbrough which is not Langbaurgh and about 20miles from where the band originates.

2) I have played 2 concerts with Greggs as Guest Soloist in the past few years, but also with several other bands that were in the contest on Sunday.

Casting these aspersions do you, your band and your conductor no credit at all. Accept the result and get on with your life.

Alan Morrison

8. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

Its true Alan Morrison is from the Teesside area, and so is Langbaurgh Brass. However I do not know of any other connection between the Band and Alan.

SO A BIG WELL DONE to all of the Langbaurgh players, we know we won on merit, I mean 4 points clear is pretty convincing.

YAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

9. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I think Alan knew tons of people in the contest probably at least one or more in each band. I think it was nice to have a local lad adjudicate - Thanks.

10. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

Never met or had anything to do with Alan Morrison but I was impressed with his adjudicating at Wansbeck. I played for both Murton and Five Rivers in section C. With Five Rivers coming 4th and Murton winning. However both sets of remarks were detailed, gave encouragement to each band with emphasis on positive aspects of the performances and any negative comments were balanced with advice on how to improve.

I thought the standard of Section B was very high this year compared to past contests. However to say favouritism is the reason the top two bands came first is childish and insulting not only to the adjudicator but the winning bands as well. Langbaugh Brass have been consistantly good over the last several years and are hardly ever out of the frame in any contest they compete. Easington band on the other hand have had consistantly bad results over recent years and i was pleasantly surprised at the improvement in their performance on Sunday compared to the last few times I have heard them. I heard most bands in the section and thought the result was spot on. Get behind your conductor and carry on the good work he is doing rather than slagging off other bands and adjudicator as it only drags down the name of easington colliery band and makes the band enemies.

The Championship section was excellent to listen to with Horden Band providing a virtuoso performance. I thought Riverside Brass put in a good days work and Gateshead Brass also did themseves proud after a difficult year for them.

All in all a good day. Never heard any other bands or players throwing their toys out of the pram over the results so as Alan Morrison says get over it and get a life!!

The week previously Dunston Band competed at the St Helens contest. We played a difficult piece for us Laudaute Dominum. The band played very well on the stage and in the three years that I have been with the band it was the most satisfied I have been with a dunston performance, which includes our two winning performances at Whitehaven. Unfortunately we came last out of five bands and although disappointing thats contesting. I didnt hear any other bands, it was own choice, we werent good enough in the adjudicators eyes and accept the result without a murmer. However I felt the adjudicators remarks were very disappointing. No encouragment whatsoever, not much detail and only negative criticism. The last thing a band want to do is spend £1000 to attend a contest, work hard and then get a set of remarks like we did on a good performance.

In my opinion we need more adjudicators like Alan Morrisson. No matter what the level of performance he will find some positives and give a band hope for the future and I hope he can pass on his philosophy to whoever the adjudicator was at St Helens and others of the same ilk otherwise contesting will end up dead in the water.

Contesting is a great way to gauge how the band is improving. Sometimes the result goes for and other times against but the adjudicator gives a fair impartial view and its his opinion that counts.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Section
    Murton Colliery 2
    Five Rivers Best Soloist Murton Colliery Section B 1
    Carlisle St. Stephens
    Ferryhill Town 4
  12. jambo

jambo Member

Well said!

13. boneman0970

boneman0970 Member

I totally agreed with Alan's comments and I couldn't believe a 'Bone player' spitting his mouthpiece out and throwing his slide cream from his case!
    I think Bass Bone Tim need's to concentrate his efforts on playing his Bone,and not casting accusations on Alan,as Alan is one of the respected and sort after musicians around!!
    Cracking day Alan and thanks for putting up with the Minority!!

14. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

I might be a newbie in this forum but I've been playing in Brass Bands for more years than I care to remember! and I must say I agree with every word 'Wonky Baton' says above.

I've played in loads of competitions where the band comes off stage thinking you've played crap and then end up winning. And the reverse is also true where you think your performance should be in with a chance of a top three spot and you come dead last! (as happened to us at this years Area contest)

You have a moan amongst yourselves, a few beers, get on with it and look forward to the next time. At the end of the day there will only ever be one winner and no adjudicator on earth will please everybody. A dissapointing result should only serve to make you more determined to do better next time.

15. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I agree with the last few comments. I've played several contests where Alan was adjudicating. Sometimes we've lost sometimes we've won but I've never had any reason to dispute his results. Please continue your good work Alan and thank you.

16. Resurgam

Resurgam Member

Wonky Baton you are spot on, Alan Morrison did a superb job, his comments after each section prior to the announcement of the results was constructive interesting and helpful to all the Bands and the audience. I am not involved with any Band at the present time and was there just simply to enjoy a good day of Banding; I sat and listened to every performance from 12noon to about 8-00pm and thought the decision in each of the three sections was excellent. I also thought that BHK Horden gave an absolutely outstanding performance and were worthy winners of the Championship Section

Alan is a top class adjudicator, performer and musician and the brass bandsmen in the North East should be proud to acknowledge what he has achieved within the movement over the past thirty years or so.

In closing; I would say that if people want to criticise or doubt someones integrity then they should be brave enough to attache their name and the Band they represent rather than an alias. although I think that this is not the first time such comments have come from the same individual. Stand up and be counted or shut up.

Ray Hutchinson

Resurgam

17. bigcol

bigcol Member

...and that fact that we were the only fourth section band there ;) Lynda the eternal optimist!!

Well done to Ray Cole and his crew for putting on such a good show. Only gripe was the lack of supplied percussion on the day - it does make life easier for us little bands :(

Roll on next year's event.

18. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Best Wansbeck contest i've been to in ages...mind aint been to many!

Thought it was a good day and the results were right, thought Horden and CLS were good and hard to seperate, other than that no complaints. Thought it was a better venue than the sports centre, even if it was like walking back in time. :D

19. mcfester

mcfester New Member

Contesting in General

As always there are the doubters of the brass band world who think that things have been fixed, it was open adjudication and you could say that the adjudicator just liked the bands he saw, placed them accordingly. If you actually read your remarks in depth and listen to what the man had to say then i am sure a man of his vast knowledge and experience knows what he is talking about, most of whats has been said on here is just the usual run of the mill sour grapes and because your band did'nt win your really upset, please remember its just one man's decision and thats contesting, go away with your remarks, look over what he had to say and then decide what to do whats best for the band instead of slagging other bands and the adjudicator off, then there may be a chance of doing better next time.

My band played there too and we came last, but so what, at least we actually turned up and had a go and the remarks we had were just and fair, now's the time to start work for the Nationals, buck up and have a damn good go, move on from this with positive vibes and good spirit, and you never know what may happen.

As for the very large amount of doubters out there "Get a Life".

Me

p.s. this would'nt happen in the MIGHTY NORTH WEST

20. Euph man

Euph man New Member

21. jambo

jambo Member

Hard to seperate??? I thought Horden won by 4 points!!!

It must have sounded different from the bar eh?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Section
    Murton Colliery 2
    Five Rivers Best Soloist Murton Colliery Section B 1
    Carlisle St. Stephens
    Ferryhill Town 4