Wansbeck Contest Cancelled

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Andy_Euph, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    trend
    contest
    entries
    lack
    Wansbeck Contest
  3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I'm not surprised if it was in the same venue as last year. What a joke that was!!

4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

It was better than not having a contests at all. It must be hard for the committee has they battle to provide a good quality contest in an area where there are so few bands and little support for brass bands. Considering this it is a great little contest to attend and at least they are trying to keep it going when so many other contests are folding.

5. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Actually it was going to be held back at the venue its been for years, last year was a change due to the unavailibilty of the sports centre in Newbiggin.

You didn't have to go to the contest if you hated that much!

6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

We had a great day there a few years ago - it was a well-run contest with a good atmosphere in the hall and in the bar!

But why try to hold it on the same day as Malton which traditionally occupies this slot on the calendar? Surely there's only really a demand for one entertainments contest in the North of England Region on that day.

D

7. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Shame to see the Wansbeck cancelled, we had a good programme prepared. Now I'm just stuck with stupid Main Street for the League :(

8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

we didn't enter as the entry form arrived quite late so didn't give us much time to prepare but also we felt it was just too close to the league contest.

9. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Since I had never been to that particular venue before, I didn't realise how bad it was until I arrived there.

10. imthemaddude

It's not cancelled - it's been moved to an alternative date.

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The report referred to earlier seems a little confusing: it talks of "postponement", but there is no mention of a possible replacement date, only the youth and set piece contests planned for March & April next year.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    trend
    contest
    entries
    lack
    Wansbeck Contest
  13. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Yeah thats right, as far as I'm aware the contest has been cancelled not moved (my dad hasn't mentioned another date), the NBBA are planning a tespiece contest for April and this is going to be a seperate contest, I think the idea is to try and revive the old league contest that was very successful and was a set piece contest

14. postie

postie Member

I would agree entirely I think they need to start looking at the calendar a bit more carefully. I don't think you can hold two contests so close in geographical terms on the same day.

15. imthemaddude

:eek:

There is around 95 mile different between Newbiggin in Northumberland and Malton in York. Thats a 2 hour drive time difference so they are not so close.

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Except that if your band is an hour's drive away from each, you could be torn as to which one to attend!

17. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

We've attended both contests in the past and would be happy to come up to Northumberland again, but it's a shame we have to choose between them.

D

18. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Doesn't it say that they are holding a test piece contest on 30th April though? I'd have thought that will be well attended, not so long after the area and just before the Spring Festival.