Waltzing Matilda

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by listerbo, Jul 1, 2013.

1. listerbo

listerbo Member

2. listerbo

listerbo Member

3. listerbo

listerbo Member

4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

none of those links work! Probably quicker and easier if you just contact whoever posted the recording and ask them....
  5. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

The only version I've ever come across is one by (I think!) Edrich Siebert, that I used to do with my school brass band. I don't think it's the same version as this, though, sorry. That answer wasn't really much help to you at all, was it?! :rolleyes:
  6. listerbo

listerbo Member

Yes I have done so - not even this link works????? - I get it OK. https://soundcloud.com/mokwork/waltz...m_medium=email
    Tnaks for your reply
  7. listerbo

listerbo Member

Well thanks a million this was actually very useful as I have discovered that Siebert wrote March of the Cobblers and a whole lot of other stuff! Thanks
  8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

erm, March of the Cobblers was written by Robert Barratt.

(I haven't played any Siebert stuff for years but if memory serves it was pretty much all arrangements rather than compositions - no surprise if MotC was one of them I guess!)
  9. listerbo

listerbo Member

Thanks for the info.....:)
  10. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

He certainly wrote quite a lot of old cobblers (Brass Band Boogie comes to mind). An easy mistake to make.
  11. listerbo

listerbo Member

:D thanks for the info I might just give up on him now!!
  12. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

Gordon Langford did an arrangement too (which is pretty good). It's not that one though
  13. listerbo

listerbo Member

Yes thanks I have heard Langford's arrangement and it nice but I REALLY like this snippet. :clap:
  14. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Edrich Siebert. Never forget is also famous for his big hit in Australia (1973) called "The Marrow Song (Oh What A Beauty!)"

Unlikely as it may seem, I promise this is true.

You can look it up, and I seem to remember find a link to the amusing (ish) ditty wot he wrote!

Go on then....
  15. nethers

nethers Active Member

Sweet Jeebus, you're right! I guess after this masterpiece Siebert realised he had peaked and retired to cheesy arrangements.

Most Australian bands have a march called 'Waltzing Matilda' which isn't terrible on parade. Can't remember who wrote it sadly. The band I used to conduct there would perform in on ANZAC Day/Australia Day etc.
  16. fartycat

fartycat Member

Philip Wilby has also written a rather brilliant jazz waltz version, bit hard though! Not sure it's published, he wrote it for Dyke's tour of Australia a few years ago.
  17. listerbo

listerbo Member

Thanks for this invaluable information!!! :)
  18. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Of course, the composer of such classics as The Marrow Song and Brass Band Boogie wrote them under a pseudonym. Very wise of him.
  19. listerbo

listerbo Member

thanks for the tip

Thanks for the tip. I will follow it up anyway!:)
  20. pedaller

pedaller Member

Edrich Siebert also arranged the Verdi overture Sicilian Vespers - still a technical tour de force, so he wasn't all bad!