Walter Rees

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by NeilW, Jun 25, 2006.

1. NeilW

NeilW Member

http://www.thisisbuckinghamshire.co.uk/search/display.var.805587.0.walter_rees.php

"A FORMER conductor of the Ercol furniture company band has died aged 92."

"A keen musician, Mr Rees took over as musical director and conductor of the Ercol band in 1952 and had proud moments marching through London in the Lord Mayor's Show in 1962 and again the following year.

He also led the band on a trip to Zurich.

The band recorded an album and played carols at the lighting of the Norwegian Christmas Tree in Trafalgar Square for many years.

Mr Rees was invited to conduct the Morris Motors band in the Brass Band Championship at the Royal Albert Hall and was well known in High Wycombe for the time he spent working with bands in Marlow, West Wycombe and Chinnor."

Thanks for the Bucks Free for putting the obituary on their Website at my request. It says quite a lot more than I've pasted above.

I knew Wally at Ercol in the mid 1980's. He was a gentle, caring man.

Neil.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2006
  2. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Wally was not only a great musician but was one of the nicest and wittiest men i have ever met.
    He helped me alot with my playing and conducting and his passing is a very sad.

3. Stephen Bourne

Stephen Bourne New Member

Wally was gentle Welshman and a great musician. I played under him at both Ercol and Morris Motors/ Concert. Harry Mortimer thought highly of him which gives some mark of his abilities.