Walliams Channel Swim

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Cornishwomble, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Taken from news.bbc.co.uk

Walliams completes Channel swim

[​IMG] David Walliams hoped to complete the swim in 16 hours

Little Britain star David Walliams has successfully completed the 21-mile swim across the English Channel to France.
    The 34-year-old comedian, who entered the water at Shakespeare Beach in Dover, Kent, at 0531 BST on Tuesday, reached France at 1600 BST.
    He finished in much quicker time than the 16 hours he had expected the crossing to take.
    Walliams undertook the gruelling swim as part of Sport Relief, for which he hoped to raise about £500,000.

Nice to see a celebrity actually achieve something remarkable in their efforts to raise money for charity. More people have climbed Everest than completed the channel crossing. Hope Jade Goody saw this and felt ashamed!!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David Walliams
    English Channel
    news.bbc.co.uk
    swim
    France.
  3. persins

persins Member

Good for him! Not sure what Jade Goody has to do with it but it's a fantastic acheivement for David Walliams.

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Think she dropped out of the London marathon because she hadn't done enough training.

5. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Well Done that chap! and £500,000 sponsorship :eek: he must have a lots of relatives! Very impressive!

how many lengths of a pool is that then?

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Depends how big the pool is!! :biggrin: :tongue: Good result doing it in under 11 hours though! :eek: It would take me that long to walk 21 miles, let alone swim it! Mind you, you can't swim very fast when your main stroke is the doggy paddle! :tongue:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  7. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Jade Goody tried the Londomn Marathon and before she started it she boasted about how she had done no training and been drinking beer and eating curries.Predictably she didn't finish it. Really it was just a publicity stunt for her.

Whilst David Walliams will of course get publicity, he had to work damn hard to achieve this and deserves all the praise he gets

8. gawber

gawber Active Member

Yes, what a great achievement.

He is still slightly short of the £500,000 he was hoping to raise in sponsorship though.

If you want to help him reach his target you can donate at www.sportrelief.com

9. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Nice one David, well done!!! I heard that someone paid quite a bit to rub vasaline onto him before he entered the water. Bet that helped towards his target!!

10. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I'm not a fan of "Little Britain", but all credit to him, it's a great achievement, and an awesome amount of money raised as well.

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I hope he slipped back into the wheelchair before anyone noticed :eek:

Great achievement, and a brilliant example to the rest of us :clap:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David Walliams
    English Channel
    news.bbc.co.uk
    swim
    France.
  13. HBB

HBB Active Member

Haha - that's the other one Peter!

14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... pssst.... the other one Peter....!! ;)

EDIT: Just spotted Bens post ^^

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just shows how clever he is, to have fooled everyone all this time ;)

16. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

1 mile is equivalent to:

32 lengths of a 50 metre pool (olympic sized one)
    64 lengths of a 25 metre pool (average leisure centre sized one)
    or 100 lengths of the 16 metre pool at my gym (teeny weeny!!)

What a great achievement, was fascinated by it all day yesterday. Well done David Walliams!!

17. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

:eek::eek::eek:

I don't even know if I could swim a mile! :tongue: that means he swam 1344 lengths of my local pool! that'd take a week! :tongue:

18. TheMusicMan

Me neither Fi. I could run around a squash court for 40 mins no problem, but swimming I just can't do. Fitness/stamina = strange coombination on times eh?

19. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Maybe even longer while you've only got one leg! :tongue:

I know I couldn't do it - it's an amazing effort - even more so when you take into account it isn't done in a nice warm swimming pool, but in cold water, with waves and currents, jellyfish, and all the ships and ferries that sail past!

By the way - this website might be quite interesting to anybody mad / brave enough to be considering following in David Walliams' footsteps....err, or should that be wake? ;)

20. Bungle

Bungle Member

Apparently one of the 50 fastest crossings as well. Very impressive, even to find the time to do the training.

When I think of swimming the channel, I always remember the Victoria Wood sketch/mock documentry, where she ends up swimming the channel without any support people.

21. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

You wouldn't need to Swim. You can walk on water. :cool:

22. TheMusicMan

haha.... nice one... I did laff when I read this - but I am not quite there yet...;) long way to go for that me feels.:clap: