Walking

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by savewaterdrinkbeer, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Hi i have just had a great morning/afternoon walked up old man coniston in the lake district, was rather wet and windy but managed it walking up the face of it, rather than sticking to the main track.

i doing scarfell next anybody been up it?

anybody else know of any other good mountains to walk up?

i've already do most in scotland.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    scotland
    old man coniston
    lake district
    afternoon
    good mountains
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Helvellyn!

But go up from the south, many people go up the north path and it's a slog.

4. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I'm confused about what 'walking' actually means. I went from Sennen Cove to Nanjizal Bay (i.e. North coast to South coast around Land s End) only last Friday (about 5/6 miles round trip) - it was a great day. At one point I thought I was mountaineering - it certainly wasn't walking as I felt i was negotiating a cliff face, but the views were fantastic.

Its a green way of enjoying a day out and both relaxing and inspirational at the same time. If I knew how to upload images, I'd put some of my photos online from last Friday.

Igg

5. six pints

six pints Active Member

I climbed ben nevis once... made the mistake of leaving the sarnies back at the tent tho!

6. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Pen Y Fan in the Brecons. Great walking around there.

Dunkery Beacon on Exmoor - not really a mountain I know, but some great views

Snowdon is also good, but I felt a bit cheated when I puffed my way up there in three hours, to find a train load of tourists had just arrived!! lol

Ben Nevis is next on my list for the summer.

7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Not at the moment they won't!

8. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I think the best way to the top of Helvellyn is over Striding Edge, it's taxing but worth it when you get to the top.

Skiddaw is a nice little walk, I can do it in 2 hours and there is a wonderful view for miles around at the top.

9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I love the coast path around West Cornwall! I visit Cornwall 2 or 3 times a year and I always try to walk some of it, even if it's only a little bit and often a bit i've walked before! I'd love to walk the whole SW coast path one day.

Actually, I'd love to walk the entire coast of Great Britain. It only takes 9 months and about 3 pairs of walking boots to do it.... One day, maybe.

10. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Depends what you're looking for in a 'mountain'. There's lots of walking local to Tameside if you like open peat moorland - I quite enjoy going up from Hayfield around William Clough and along the top of the Kinder plateau - on a clear day you can see right across the top of Mcr to Snowdonia in the far distance. The various 'edges' above the Derwent valley are good too, as is Bleaklow.

For 'real' mountains though you need to Go West & hit Eryri (Snowdonia) - There's anything from long steady walks to the top of the lonely isolated whaleback hills of the Carneddau (try going from Aber Falls carpark neaar the coast up over the falls, to Bera Mawr and on to Foel Fras, then down via Llyn Anafon) through the many classic steep but well worn pathways up Snowdon (Pyg track or Watkin path are my favourites when going with casual walkers) or for real fun / "exposure" get out scrambling up Tryfan & Bristly Ridge & out onto the Glyders.
    (& if you're really crazy, try doing all 15 of the Welsh >3000ft peaks in a single day :) )

Ron

11. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I totally agree Ron.
    Last Summer Mrs W. and I drove from Llandulas to Port Meirion over the Snowdonia mountains.
    I worked up quite a sweat and was pretty exhausted both mentally and physically by the time we got there.
    The stress of keeping the Mercedes on those winding roads was terrible !!
    Oh! - did you mean actually walking - with feet ?
    No way - you're all crazy !!!!!!!
    (Just joking Ron - best of regards and well done at the Area.)
    - Wilkie

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    scotland
    old man coniston
    lake district
    afternoon
    good mountains
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Nice TV series currently on BBC Four and repeated throughout the week - Wainwright Walks - It's the last of 4 tonight with fantastic views of the Lakes and detailed descriptions of Alfred Wainwrights illustrated walks.

So far they've done - Haystacks, Blencathra, Castle Craig and this week is Scafell Pike.

14. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I like the Carnedds, the view from up there is astounding.
    One day I'd like to have a go at one of the big walks, like the Coast-to-Coast, or the Pennine Way.
    We're going down to Cornwall in October and I'd like to do a stretch of the coast walk at some point.
    BMB
    xx

15. ronnie_the_lizard

The North Cornwall Coast is stunningly spectacular (in good weather) as long as you've got a head for heights - easy grassy walks but a view of just cliffs, cliffs and more cliffs as far as the eye can see - does get a bit 'samey' after a while though unless you take an interest in watching the fabulous birdlife +/- seals / basking sharks.

16. bigmamabadger

Am I likely to see many basking sharks/seals in October? Never been a huge fan of birds on the whole, but I remember being fascinated by a colony of gannets in Northumbria a few years ago.

I love walking by the sea, or up mountains, but I really can't see the point in wandering around the flat countryside. Never had such a boring walk as the one I did round Lincolnshire. I thought I was hallucinating at one point because we didn't actually appear to be moving at all. Rivers/canals are OK up to a point so long as yuo can do a circular walk and don't have to turn round and cover the 6 miles you just did all over again.
    And of course it's always good to end up in a nice pub... lovely beer garden with cold beer in summer, roaring fire and mulled wine in winter.
    BMB
    xx

17. ronnie_the_lizard

Global warming ......... just leave your TV on Standby from now until you leave and don't get any of those new twisty-looking light bulbs and the place will be teeming with Baskers - of course the sea level will be near the top of the cliffs by then......

18. bigmamabadger

Well then I'll be able to stroke the pretty sharks without getting my little badger toes wet...
    BMB
    xx