Walking the Dog

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Owen, May 30, 2003.

1. Owen

Owen Member

I heard an incredibly cool piece of music over the last weekend - Walking the Dog by Gershwin. Does anyone know if it has been arranged for band? I thought at the time it would work really well as a duet/feature for flugel and sop.
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

There's an Alan Fernie arrangement available at Just Music
  3. Owen

Owen Member

Thanks for that - has anyone out there played that particular arrangement?
  4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

The actual title of the piece is Promenade, subtitled walking the dog. The arrangement we have been doing is a Bourgois arrangement and features horn, flugel and sop. Be warned, this piece has been the downfall of many a dep!
  5. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I think Owen was listening to Claffic SM last weekend - I heard it too and thought what a cracking piece for a band!

Wonder if it's in the library at band....

Rach x
  6. Highams

Highams Member

I played the Derek Bourgeois arrangement of this at Sun Life, it's quite brilliant. We featured it at the then Granada Band of the Year contest, then recorded it on LP later that year on "Conductors Showcase".

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

hahahhahah doran.. how extremely funny of you...
    i should have not given u the satisfaction of replying to this eh ;) o well :p
  8. Owen

Owen Member

Rumbled - I was listening to Classic FM at the time, in the car. I thought it was such a cool piece of music, I sat there for a few minutes on my driveway rather than miss any of it!

I am assuming that the arrangement by Mr Bourgeois has bot been published....
  9. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I wasn't necessarily talking about you Aidan... believe it or not some deps have made worse jobs than you did of that one. :wink:

Seriously though, not the best of pieces to sight read. It's pieces like that that confirm my believe that tuba playing is the safest way to go. Least chance of showing your ass, although I still manage from time to time! :oops:
  10. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

The Bourgois arrangement is published. We have a proper set of it. Can't recall who publishes it though... I'll have a look if I remember!
  11. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

A quick look at Just Music's catalogue shows that it is available at what looks the bargain price of £15!

Do a search for 'Promenade' and look for Gershwin arr.Bourgeois

12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Honestly..?!?! oh my god! haha
    i want names.. so i can abuse them
  13. asteria

asteria Member

Heehee, had this discussion many a time before at leyland, it is an awful piece to sight read! You needn't have posted on here Aidan and let everyone know it was you! Any dep at leyland is pre-warned about that one now! :D

I was witness to one of the other highly embarrasing performances, a certain well known flugel player! He did try a very good attempt at bending the long note down a semitone, poor guy :lol:

Edit: Duplicate post deleted (RT)
  14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

g'wan doyley :) (was it him)
  15. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Damn! I thought this thread was going to be about that nifty trick some people do with a yoyo.
  16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

17. asteria

asteria Member

Heehee, who told you? :wink:
    By the way nice avatar, definite improvement on the last one, not quite so bocish! :D

18. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

since when have i ever been boc-ish? :shock:
    well i think it was probably you! certainly wasnt doyley anyway hehe!