Walk to band!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tam-tam2, May 9, 2007.

1. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

For the first time ever, last night I was able to walk to band.......and it only took about five minutes. I have just moved into the village where the band rehearses.

I was wondering in our environmentally friendly age:rolleyes: how many people are actually able to walk to their bandroom. I quite enjoyed it too......also as the pub we go/went to is only 50 yards from my front door!!:tup

2. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

I have walked to band every rehearsal for nigh on 20 years! :clap: When I was in the Army we used to live above the bandroom.:eek: For some reason though, it only takes me 5 minutes to walk to band, but about 30 minutes to walk back from the pub which is almost next door. I'm sure someone stretches the road while we're playing!:rolleyes:

3. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I'm Environmentally friendly but I don't walk to band, I cycle. It's about a 10 mile round trip but it's good excercise (bit of a drag in the rain though)

4. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Unfortunately it is a 40 minute round trip to band and back for me so walking/cycling is out of the question!

I really wish that I could walk to band, and sad as it may sound, if I do ever move away from the south of England, closeness to a band is going to be a criteria to finding a new house (as well as the other major ones!!)

5. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Walking to rehearsals is out I fear , but when we do jobs in central London its often only a walk away for me . Leyfy and I had a nice wander back from Farringdon to Oxford St on Sunday after a job when the tube stopped !!

6. postie

postie Member

My wife used to walk to band when she was at Carlton. The bandroom was 20 minutes walk away. That went out of the window once she moved onto Bestwood.

7. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

well i used to walk to band on some occasions when it wasn't dark but this was before i moved but now i live about 10 miles away from our band room.

8. winterman

winterman Member

I live in the street next door to the band room, you can actually see it from the rear window (and I am reliably informed you can enjoy a bottle of wine on the patio on a sunny evening and listen to rehearsals) and walk to and fro band/pub! Takes about 2 minutes. Wouldn't even be worth getting the bike out for!

Now if only I could persuade the neighbour who's house backs onto the band room compound to put a gate in their fence I could be there about 30 seconds as I wouldn't have to walk round the entire block! :D

It does have serious disadvantages tho (especially as a key holder) because people always want/expect you to be the one to lock/unlock, be available for all times of access etc.. oh well!

9. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

I used to be able to walk to band (unless I had the drums - need a car for all that stuff!) In fact the pub was actually further from my house than the bandroom. But I've moved a couple of times since then. Furthest was City of Oxford - 150 mile round trip. Currently driving 35 miles each way.

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

That's a bit like me getting to Becontree: I have to take the tube, but then soon come to a fence with a gate in it, the church where we rehearse being just the other side. Unfortunately, the gate is always locked, the fence is too high to climb over, so I have have to go literally "round the houses" to get there, adding about ten minutes to the walk :mad:

In Bolton I could walk to practice, as the hall was just at the back of the centre where we lived and worked. Everywhere else, though, it has usually been a bus-ride away.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    QUOTE=tamtam2
    none
    people
  12. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I could walk to band if I wanted to but timewise it's not really suitable. I would need to leave home at 5-15 to get there for 6, but I don't get out of school on a Tuesday until around 4-30 so by the time I get home and get ready I wouldn't have the time (I get home at about 5-10.)

Walking to orchestra is out of the question- it is a 30 minute drive there, usually a bit quicker on the way back. And I'd get lost. LOL!

13. hvb_shizzle

hvb_shizzle Member

I walk to band i live about 5 minuets away from the bandroom and 10 minuets away from the pub ( to the sheps, to the sheps) the band go to. however that ten minuets can turn into a very shakey 20 after a few!

14. tenorhorn10

tenorhorn10 New Member

I walk to band it only takes me five minutes. Have to make sure I don't sing my part on the way home - get some funny looks!

15. Lisa

Lisa Member

When I lived in Gillingham it used to be a 10 minute walk to band or a 2 minute cycle ride.

Now I have to have a lift to band along with 3 other people (so it's semi-environmentally-friendly). I think it takes about 30-40 minutes by the time everyone has been picked up...

16. onebandman

onebandman New Member

I used to walk to band, until I moved to the next county. In fact there's now none of our band who live in the town where we rehearse, which I think is rather sad.

17. andyp

andyp Active Member

I have a 20 minute drive to band, however my local band (Banks) rehearse 200 yds round the corner from my house, they don't contest though.

18. BrianT

BrianT Member

I cycled to band the other night, using my sparkly new birthday bike panniers - sop one side and music stand and mutes the other. Made the back end of the bike really heavy though.

I wonder what's the largest instrument you could transport to band if you didn't have a car?

19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Many years ago we used to have a BBb bass player who used to come to band on his bike - complete with bass tucked under his arm! OK so it wasn't a monster-sized sovereign (I think it was an old Imperial) but a good effort all the same!

As for me...well I could bike to band - it's about 5 miles mostly along quiet roads and bridleways. I'm sure I could fix my gig bag so it sits properly on my back but, frankly I CBA. :redface:

20. llewellynd

llewellynd Member

I walk whenever possible, its nearly 4 minutes away, also has the added advantage of more than one pint afterwards. No idea how long it takes to get back home though, the local doesnt seem to bother with set hours :wink:

It take would take longer to drive round than it would to walk.

21. Lisa

Lisa Member

That's terrible - cycling to band would be sooo much fun! :)

We used to have a bit of a cycling thing going on in Gillingham band. I remember once cycling back from a band bbq in a village about 5 miles away. It was about 12.00am when we cycled back, we'd all had a few drinks and we cycled back home through pitch black, winding country lanes. It was very scary cycling and not being able to see anything at all! Definitely wouldn't do that again!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    QUOTE=tamtam2
    none
    people