Wales vs. England

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by John Brooks, Sep 3, 2005.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Anyone watching the game. Must be close to half-time. Any score yet?
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

0-0 and a tad boring really apart from a great save by Robinson from a Hartstone header which looked like a dead cert.
  3. John Brooks

Thanks for the quick response. I must say I'm not surprised. It's only on Pay TV here and I didn't think it would be worth the money.
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Final score = Wales 0 - England 1 from a Joe Cole deflected goal.

Wales put in a good effort, especially towards the end, but England were always hot favs.
  5. John Brooks

Thanks again. Much appreciated.
  6. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

For me, the game just highlighted all the reasons why I prefer to watch rugby. I took customers along to the match and didn't really enjoy it at all. Despite the messages on the big screens to respect the anthems (Which I've never seen at a rugby match, possibly 'cause rugby fans don't need reminding), it was impossible to hear anything except booing all the way through the "English" national anthem (Which is in fact a Royal anthem and therefore deserves as much respect from the Welsh as the English or even the Canadians, Australians and any other country that the Queen is monarch of). I've been to quite a few events in the stadium and with customers from all over the UK but never before have I had my customers verbally abused for clapping the efforts of the away team. Although there was no major trouble, just the odd lone idiot being removed by the stewards and cops every now and then, there was an air of animosity and potential for trouble that you just don't get from a rugby crowd. It's the first big football match I've been to in about 10 years and I won't be sorry if it's another 10 years til the next one.
  7. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Got to agree with Jessop Smythe. I hate football. I didn't watch the match and until reading this thread didn't know (nor want to know) the score. I think as Mr Smythe was there, he's very well positioned to say what the crowd behaviour was like but I could honestly have predicted beforehand what that behaviour would be. I'm not getting on the side of Rugby or being particularly anti-football. It does however appear to be that you get considerably more idiots at a football match than at rugby (and I'm not just referring to the players either).

Bagpuss: Proud to have never been to a football match....EVER!!!

8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Just thought I'd chip in by saying well done to Northern Ireland for their first competitive win in 4 years, and to Scotland for holding Italy. Saw the second half of the Northern Ireland game (on the south side of Arran, Northern Ireland channels are the ones we receive!) and it was a comfortable 45 minutes for them. Didn't see the Scotland game but I reckon they'd have been thrashed if Berti Vogts were still in charge. Looks like Walter Smith's getting them some much needed confidence back.
  9. Steve

Steve Active Member

I thought Scotland were really hard done by, they looked like they had the beating of the Italians for most of the game. Outclassed player for player but they looked like a quality international team.

As for England Vs Wales, Im glad to see Sven trying a formation that actually suits our team (especially Gerrard, Lampard, Wright-Phillips. I hope he sticks with it for the N.Ireland game but with the right players this time please.

Personally, in my own armchair critic way, I would like to see the revolutionary step of Ferdinand playing where Beckham did aganst Wales as he will offer the defensive solidarity and composure the position needs.

10. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

The Wales v England game was tedious and totally predictable

England supporters may as well get used to it though there ain't now way Sven will drop one of Beckham Gerrard or Lampard which he needs to do and bring in some balance to the side.

suggest midfield of

Right - SWP
    Mid - Beckham and Parker/ Carrick
    Left - Keiron Richardson

with lampard or Gerrard available if using 4-5-1
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Is Richardson fit now? He hurt himself in the 2nd leg CL qualifier last week.
  12. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

seems so came on as sub on saturday but by then England had lost all interest in going forward
  13. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

England have the best bunch of players they have had in years. They also have a spineless manager. Somebody like Mourinho would find his best players to play in a particular formation and if that didn't work, change the players for alternative formations and game plans.

England will qualify for Germany and will probably qualify for the later stages but while SGE is manager will not win anything as he is frightened to upset players and change systems if they are not working even mid-game.

As for Wales, we have limited resources so need all of our best players available before we can be truly competitive. Carl Fletcher and Carl Robinson once they had the ball on Saturday did not know what to do with it so gave it back to England!

Robbie Savage is not an answer and some of these youngsters are going to have to move from Swansea, Bristol City, Coventry and dare I say it (currently) Cardiff to become International standard players.